free hit
counters
Spare Esprit V8 ignition key blank - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
stugilmour

Spare Esprit V8 ignition key blank

Can someone confirm this is the best available blank key for my 2000 Esprit V8? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-OPEL-NEW-BLANK-UNCUT-TRANSPONDER-KEY-BLADE-/260822413621?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3cba3a3135

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B0090-Blank-blade-key-for-VAUXHALL-OPEL-Uncut-replacement-shell-1pcs-/271136859026?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f21042392&vxp=mtr#ht_2263wt_900

We don't have Vauxhall's and Opel's here in Canada any more, but I understand from archive posts this is the blank type used for the car?  If it is the correct blank it is considerable less spendy than one from the Dealer.

Ideally I could find one with the little light in it like my original, but if this is the correct blank it will do as a spare. I have found a guy locally that can cut it from my original, but he is not sure of the blank type for a Lotus.  He is a mobile locksmith, so not easy for me to just compare to what he has on hand.

Thanks

Stu

Edited by stugilmour

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi the key you want is from a uk Vauxhall corsa 93- 97 with the light in it. You should be able to pick up one off of the uk eBay for a couple of pounds and the blank you should be able to get from timpson a key cutting shop in the uk on line they should be able to send you one.

Good luck ,Matt

Does yours look more like this

If not check out this guy he even will cut it to your code.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEY-OPEL-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-CORSA-MERIVA-OMEGA-VECTRA-ZAFIRA-CUT-TO-CODE-/261162626285?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cce816ced&_uhb=1

post-5941-0-58233400-1360405123.jpg

..the system used on the S4ff-models doorhandles is the one from the Calibra/Vectra/Astra  Opel-GM Euro cars  and should be ca. 5.5mm x 3mm in square  ..around 40mm-42mm long.
So any of the blanks posted there with the three eBay links should be good enough for it (ask the seller for the right measurements first!)

$T2eC16JHJIkE9qU3iy4YBQRuIC!iRQ~~60_35.J

Matt, what you have posted in the thumbnail is not the Opel/GM-type *flat blade* key system, you showed us a traditional one with *saw type* profile ;)

(and you car with the Leyland doorhandles is not one of those, as we can see in your avatar, so I understand the misconception)

Hi Matt. Thanks for the help. 

I think mine is a bit different from your picture. 

Mine appears to be a flat blade that is 44 mm long and 8 mm wide.  The bumps for the key are cut into both sides of the blade but the outside profile of the key remains smooth.  There is one groove cut in the edge of the key that is 23 mm long.  it is very similar to this uncut one, save that the side groove is shorter than the 28 mm shown.  Also, the end of the key is less rounded than this example.  Mine has the number 296 on the blade, which I assume is the blade size.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320422579445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1789wt_721

I understand this is called a "Sidewinder" style key by the trade. 

I have taken the lighted portion of my one functional key apart, and it requires a VARTA V625U 1.5 V button battery, which is apparently reasonably common for cameras and such (my local battery shop has them in stock).  They are a replacement for a PX-625 battery, that is different chemistry; I can't imagine this is an issue for the little light bulb. :D  

I broke down and ordered two unlit key blanks from the dealer ($84 each!), which should arrive in a couple of weeks.  The lit key blank is NLA from Lotus.  Interestingly, another guy in the 'States has ordered a fully cut unlit key from his dealer (coming from the UK I guess, hasn't received yet) for $64 using his VIN, but unfortunately my dealer doesn't offer this service.

Thanks again for the help.  Looks like the key changed a bit by model year, so all a bit confusing. 

Edited by stugilmour

Sorry, I know my car has layland door handles and keys. But I was showing you the key to the s4 which my mate has got they must of changed it again on the v8 cars.

Good luck anyway hope this helps someone else if not.

You bet Matt. 

The picture Gunter posted looks very much like my key.  I wonder what they look like uncut?  From the various pics on eBay it looks like the key shank is just a flat profile and even the side grove gets cut by the locksmith.  Will see when he does the cutting.

Will see what Lotus provides and maybe post a picture when they come.

It's all a bit confusing as in my parts manual (Sheet Ref 10.17) the keys are shown as "Not illustrated".

I just got back from the battery store, and he supplied a Duracell 625A 1.5V single button battery as an equivalent to the (I assume original) VARTA V625U or PX625.  The little incandescent bulb now lights up as it should in my original key. :D  

Well, on to the next adventure, which is the remote key fob for the Immobilizer.  Have one of those coming from Florida in the mail.

Stu 

The plot continues.... 

I have been phoning around to find a shop that can cut the "Sidewinder" keys, as I anticipate it will be much more reasonable than a mobile locksmith.  Anyway, the first guy i called sounded hopeful, although he doesn't have the correct blank.  When I mentioned I can supply the blanks in a few weeks, he asked me if they were steel. My original is magnetic, so assume that's what it is.  Anyway, he won't cut steel blanks!

Will keep phoning I guess! :D

Stu

Edited by stugilmour

with my *5.5mm* I've measured it wrong, you are closer with your measurement Stuart ..it is near to 7mm

Picture as follows

BILD2199.JPG

..so I wounder why the replacement you have bought now is not as cheap as the other Ebay-blanks you've posted -?

This link there is wrong,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320422579445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1789wt_721

as it is a typical 'blank' for the traditional (like the ones from Matt)    "saw" type key blade.

You would need the rectangular blanks, just as from you previous link-examples

Edited by Günter

The blanks I am buying are from the Lotus dealer, hence extra cost I guess. 

Spoke with the locksmith again, and he says he has picked to locks before using a Ford pick.  He is thinking he can figure something out with his available blanks (presumably brass).  Once I receive the Lotus supplied blanks and have the car out of storage I will give it a shot. 

Hoping that the dealer supplying the blanks has a locksmith local to him that can cut the steel keys, but I guess we will see in May when I am in his area.

I contacted a second Lotus dealer (we only have three for all of Canada!).  He said the same thing, that only blanks are supplied by Lotus dealers and I have to get them cut locally.  This seems at variance to others experience, who can get pre-cut keys from Lotus UK from the VIN & proof of ownership.  I don't have the original key code or 'key number' referred to in the owner's manual, which I understand allows the dealer (or locksmiths?) to cut a new key to the correct profile.  Interestingly, neither dealer asked for the key code, so not sure that would help out too much.

Anyway, all a bit mysterious, but should get sorted out in a couple of months.

Key fob is in the mail, so should be sorted shortly.

Stu

You can get your key code from ASO at the factory, any dealer should know that really. If you'd like contact details, let me know.

Yes please Bibs.  What is ASO.  Sounds hopeful anyway!

ASO is the Lotus Aftersales dept. Email Chris Brown [email protected], tell him your from TLF and you need your key's code, he'll be able to help you out or at least let your local dealer know what it is  :)

An Update...

I received a phone call from the dealer and my key blanks are in stock now from Lotus UK.  He is going to pop them in the mail to me.  I understand they are as expected without the little light in them.

I also contacted Chris Brown at Lotus After Sales (ASO) in the UK. (Thanks again Bibs).  Very helpful reply.  He tells me Lotus does not offer cut keys, only blanks.  He was unaware of an issue getting the steel key blanks cut, and wants me to update him if there is an issue.

The parts rep at Weissach Lotus (also very helpful) contacted his regular locksmith, and he will no longer cut the steel keys either.  He was able to find another locksmith locally, so I think it will all work out.

Plan is to get the keys cut in Vancouver when I am down in May.

HTH someone in the future, and will update when I have working keys.

Stu

Note these are for a 2000 Esprit V8;

I understand the earlier cars use a different key blank that is cut differently with the key bumps on the outside of the blade both sides.

The 'V8 key' (I have no idea when the key blank style changed) is called a 'Sidewinder' by the trade, and is cut on the blade but remains straight on the blade sides.

The replacement blank does not have the little light in the grip. Markings on the plastic grip are

SILCA Italy

YM 27P

Lotus Part Number for my blanks is ALCUX0005YC.

Cost is CDN$ 84 each through my closest Lotus dealer.

Dimensions:

43 mm long end of blade to grip. There is no shoulder on the end of the blade.

7 mm wide blade

2 mm grove on side of blade

27 mm long grove

3 mm total thickness blade

1 mm grove depth

Key blank is NOT magnetic! The stock key with the little light does have a magnetic blade. I am hopeful I may be able to get these cut locally now!

Stu

post-4924-0-34019800-1362856953.jpg

so the final result is, you've paid a lot of money [168 GBP -or candian dollars?] for two simple 'flat blade' blanks   ..who are widely available via Ebay ;)

..that's just what we said earlier, for such things there is no need to go to the Lotus dealer

Not so sure on that one Gunter.  Keep in mind we haven't had a Vauxhall or Opel in the Great White North since my grandmother's was junked about 40 years ago. Sometimes the dealer is simpler.

All the blanks I saw on eBay did not have the two 27 mm long x 3 mm wide x 1 mm deep grooves cut in the blank.  Perhaps the idea is the locksmith simply cuts these in, but with the difficulty in finding someone to cut the key locally...  

Looking on Google at some Silca catalogs, it looks like either the Silca YM27P or Silca YM27T2 have the correct profile but different heads.  The similar Silca HU blanks called up for Opel & Vauxhall appear to have a second groove on the other side.  I suppose they might work, but who knows. 

I'll see how it goes with getting them cut next month.

Anyway, hopefully the info here will help someone else in the future.

Cheers!  Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by stugilmour

just for the 'books of history' .. OEM manufactorer (per small 'key manufacturer number' there for Opel/GM keys on my Lotus key)  is *296* aka YMOS

..if you want you can compare with other 'replacement manufacturers'  ... see for example Börkey:

http://www.boerkey.de/inhalt/boerkey/schluesselrohlinge/erklaerungen-massbegriffe-rohlingfindung/?

1334.gif

replacement-comparision:

http://www.reifenraith.de/schluesseldienst/rohlingsdatenbank/boerkey

Edited by Günter

Quick update to close off the topic.  Got the two dealer supplied (Silca YM 27P) blanks described above cut locally for about $80.  Both work fine in the car.

HTH

Stu