free hit
counters
can some one technical shed some light - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Carter

can some one technical shed some light

so this is a dip stick

20130213_145242_zpsf6ea6232.jpg

close up

20130213_145239_zps40611ea6.jpg

so the pipe has a locking nut for the engine block. it has a compression olive to stop leaking oil my question is everything moves up and down the pipe how do i set it correct ???

set to high the oil could be over filled

set to low i could under fill it and think its enough

HEEEEELLLPPPP!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From section TDA of the manual (Page 11) Dipstick tube standout from the MBP is 119.5mm.

Now what does MBP stand for??????

Edit: MBP. Well I'm guessing it's main Bearing P..............     Plane? as in the plane that is the centre of the crank, the plane between the main block and the crank carrier. Anybody else?

Never loosened the olive such that it was an issue for me.

hmm interesting...  That ferrule on the 910 4cyl dipstick tube does not move at all...

Here's my 4cyl

IMG_2674.JPG

If you don't have your engine on a stand with the sump removed...  can you at least see the wear mark where the ferrule used to be?

thanks for the info so my dip stick was never solid it did move around abit in the engine bay when the motor was running .the dip stick tube itself is scratched in a few places so un able to accuratly see where the original mark was .

andy would this mean i have to measure 119.5 from the nut upwards or do i need to figure out where the crank would sit in relation to the stick tube ???????

also i have bolted on the manifolds with new gaskets and realised i need to fit the dip stick tube first as the curve of the shaft wont go in the block whilst the manifold is in place as the manifolds are tightend up will i ruin the seal if i un bolt it and re bolt it after the tube is fitted will i need another gasket ?

Alex , thought after all those points you focussed on you at least have the workshop-book by hand ?!  (it is a free download after all)

..see there, V8/S4 workshop-book: page 61, section ED

"..Mark the [new] tube 103mm from the bottom edge.  This mark must coincedence with the top surface of the dipstick hole in the block. Fit a new olive onto the tube..."    etc.

*ps. -hope you see I'm not the type of 'bad guy' as some want to show me..

..also i have bolted on the manifolds with new gaskets and realised i need to fit the dip stick tube first as the curve of the shaft wont go in the block whilst the manifold is in place as the manifolds are tightend up will i ruin the seal if i un bolt it and re bolt it after the tube is fitted will i need another gasket ?

..would you have used the workshop-book this point would not be a problem, as it is mentioned there with a *note* .. ;)

think as long as the engine was not running there is no temperature gone into the structure of the metall-layers in the gasket, so it should have hold its 'stiffness' in some ways

-what means you can stil undo the manifould and just fit the parts in the right order

Edited by Günter

Is there a side drain plug for level as there is on the gearbox?

In other words, is there another way to asses oil level by which you could set the dip stick?

Just a thought.

Simon, the turbo oli-return on both sides of the block is at least the only other orientation level then...

Can you set the dipstick by draining the oil, put in the recommended capacity as stated in the manual then set the dipstick tube down at the full mark?

steve, if so he would also have to calculate how much oil is actually running within the oil-cooler system, or if it is dry too ..

anyway -he has got his number from the workshop-book in this post: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/55713-can-some-one-technical-shed-some-light/#entry445889

From section TDA of the manual (Page 11) Dipstick tube standout from the MBP is 119.5mm.

Now what does MBP stand for??????

Edit: MBP. Well I'm guessing it's main Bearing P..............     Plane? as in the plane that is the centre of the crank, the plane between the main block and the crank carrier. Anybody else?

Never loosened the olive such that it was an issue for me.

I believe MBP means "main bearing panel" and should be the part of the block the dipstick tube is fixed to. I've heard others use that term for the "main bearing housing" before.  . Should be easy enough to confirm with the measurement given...

Either that or it was a typo.. :hrhr:

Edited by lotus4s

Jim, what do you mean -how can Alex with his V8 measure the reference given from the 4 pot manual ? 

..as said, the V8 measurement is there in the post above

Hello guys, I know how frustrating this Pipe is, When I modified my engine, my Dip stick would not come undone in the sump it's self. I had to get heavy to get it out. It's obvious your compression flange with the brass olive was not secured properly at build, while mine was over tightened. I should have recorded the fitted length. Just looked at my 800 build photos.  I had to cut my olive off to make repairs to that gland nut, I used a copper olive instead and made sure it fitted tight, but not over so. cheers Rob