free hit
counters
New whine in neutral with clutch released - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TimSportsTourer

New whine in neutral with clutch released

Does this ring any bells for anyone? 

Nice weather today, so I brought the S4 Esprit to work. Not far enough to drive, really, so it doesn't get properly warm. But it hasn't been out of the garage for weeks, so I weakened. On the journey, I noticed a new (and slight) whine. On declutching in neutral, there's a whine. It goes away as soon as you depress the clutch even slightly. I don't know if it whines with the clutch released in gear, because there's too much other noise going on.

Ideas?

Cheers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Release bearing. As your car hasn`t been used for a fair while I imagine there being moisture and therefore corrosion on the bearing surface. Now you have used it and the bearing has spun you can hear the wear caused by pitting perhaps. Part of the problem when a car isn`t used much unfortunately.

Trevor.

Thanks, Chaps. So if I take it for a run, it might clear up? I have a plan to go for a more proper drive this weekend (work-related travel has killed my chances for the last few weeks, and then the weather). After that, I'll know whether I've got an expensive job to do replacing the bearing. Am I reading this right?

Cheers again. 

Unfortunately, bearings don't repair themselves Tim. Once they are shot, it all downhill from there. However, it is not a job that requires immediate attention.

It can not be left to fail though, as if it does, it'll get pretty messy as you generally won't be near home when it lets go and if it does, that's no gears and possibly a damaged diaphragm spring.

A thrust (release) bearing, on its way out, will last for a fair while. It will simply get noisier when you have no pressure on the clutch.

Get the bits organised (bearing) and then set to. I have done thrust bearings in cars (front engine) with my dad when I was younger in a weekend and we generally pulled the engine to do them. If you can do the work yourself, it's not expensive. Time consuming, yes. That could change, though, if you get it apart and there is other issues that you are not aware of.

Others on here will be far more able to give you a timeframe for the job in an esprit as I have not done one in my car.

Sounds like a job for GST for me, I'm afraid. I'm not afraid of the odd spanner job, but I just don't have the time to spend a weekend pulling an engine, and to be fair, I don't have the confidence to tackle something that big. At least I know what to expect. I had the thrust bearings go in the clutch of my last car - a nearly-new Nissan 350z. It cost me nigh on a grand to fix. Oh joy. That noise was different, though. It was much more rattly, though the incidence was similar.

Might be worth dropping Sparky a message, he'll save you a few quid for sure :)

Well, I went for a proper drive this weekend. First time out for a few weeks. I put 90 miles on the car, and got it past 41k miles. At least I'm doing better than previous owners! And the noise has gone. Completely.

It is a bit strange, this. It didn't sound like the thrust bearings, or at least, it didn't sound like the failing bearings in my Nissan, even though the incidence was exactly the same. But it has gone away. So I'm relaxing a bit, though I'd relax more if I understood it.

Cheers, all!

Silence is golden.