free hit
counters
CRANKSHAFT BEARING REMOVAL - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
giorgio67

CRANKSHAFT BEARING REMOVAL

Hi guys,

does anyone have a trick to remove the bearing in the crankshaft end (input shaft bearing), mine is stuck inside and my little extractor does not work (too big).

Any help?

Also, amy feedback about the SJ metal spacer that fit inside the crank prior the bearing to keep the bearing in position, flush with the crankshaft end, is a good upgrade?

Thanks

Giorgio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is that the tiny one where you turn a piece of steel that is just a bit smaller than the inner dia. and you fill it with grease and whack then end and the hydraulic action pushes the bearing out? Think so Giorgio if you get stuck getting one made I will turn up a bit of bar and send it to you.

Buddsy

The hydraulic method never worked for me so in the end I used a 13mm bolt that I pushed through the spigot bearing. Then I slid a large socket over the end, and threaded a flat washer over the threaded end of the bolt and finally tightened a.13mm nut up to the washer. Worked a treat, but you may need to pack another nut inside the bearing to keep the bolt head from working loose.

Hydraulicing the bearing out with grease and a suitable drift works well...but you have to be decisive, gentle tapping doesn't work! The drift can be a nicely turned piece of bar, or a 3/8" socket and extension of suitable size....tape around the socket to get the right fit. As for the spacer; I bought one and looked at it...measured the depth of the hole in the crank and the length of the bearing and spacer combined, and it became clear that the bearing and the spacer together were too long to fit into the hole in the crank, with the bearing in the right place. So the spacer never did get fitted....it's not difficult to get the bearing in to the right depth without a spacer.