free hit
counters
Nicoseal liners - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cbclotus

Nicoseal liners

What are the advantages of nicoseal liners used by lotus on the hc  cars.As my engine is hopefully going to wake after twelve rest.Replacing water pump.cam belt.Tentioner bearing......Do i need to worry about the liners .Have been putting engine oil into plug holes to soak .The car has done 50000 miles.It was bough as a project .....I must be mad.lol.Thats what my Mrs says.....I can not do any of the work .its being done by a mate who once worked for a lotus garage,Thanks Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The basic advantage of nicosil liners is the weight saving. But the nicosil coating of the alli does wear in time. However at your mileage you should be ok.

A lot depends on what you want to spend, and the best option would be a full rebuild especially if it's an unknown quantity.

I would guess the main reason for changing would be that they run at a significantly reduced clearance, which will also be more consistent, than the iron liners, during all running conditions.  Probably good for noise reduction, oil control and maybe less 'blow by' for the increased boost pressures to come.  Mike - are you aware that the standard iron and Nikasil are not interchangeable?  (without machining).  

Thanks guys.just hope all goes well when put back .Thanks Mike. Forgot to say my car is a early hc na car.Last of the Giugiaro shape

I was surprised to hear Matt Debage's Excel LC which was an '89 car in excellent condition, but the piston slap was a lot more noticeable than in my rather well-worn HC, so I'm with Chris that it helped maintain a much more equal expansion of piston and liner giving better gap control.  Also the Nikasil lining is so much harder that even in the space of 100,000 miles you don't loose all the honing marks and so it keeps a better oil coating in place.