free hit
counters
Fitting rear hatch - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Fitting rear hatch

Hi chaps wonder if anyone has any helpful tips about fitting the rear hatch? I have got mine back on and it looks like its over to one side. I know I have adjustment on the slots where the screws go through into the rear hatch itself but was wondering if I am going to have to undo the mounting bolts into the roof of the car to get the thing equal lefty/righty?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

make sure you remove the struts and the locking posts first!

Then I usually do it with 3 people, one to wrench, and 2 to hold the hatch.

You can loosen the 3 bolts on each side and the hatch will slide quite a bit to even up the sides.  Then you also have to be careful because the hinges can angle compared to the vertical plane of the hatch as well.  so once you get the side to side alignment, you'll need to tighten one bolt per side and then fiddle with the angle of the leading edge in relation to the hinges so that the hatch lines up with and does not foul the roof.

There is so much adjustment, that I don't think you need to loosen the hinges to the car body... And I advise you NOT to try, because they will just spin inside the body, and you'll have to disassemble the interior of the car to tighten them again!!!

I did once start to look at undoing the hinges so I could give them a paint but found out the nuts are just nuts hidden inside the interiour trim...obviously after I had cleaned and refitted all the trim! So didnt want to do that again. I have got it fitted now like how you said. Its not perfect but I think its pretty close. I have as you described tried to get it right in the vertical plane too so the lines from the roof flow and I dont think I quite have it dead right but it does foul and look too far out.

Thanks for your advice

Buddsy