free hit
counters
BROKEN BRUSH BOX - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
G4RTHV8

BROKEN BRUSH BOX

Hi Guys,

This starter motor is driving me insane!!!!!

It was all going along so nicely when ……click!!! The reconditioned starter motor began playing up. Wasting no time off came the plenum, checked all the connections everything seemed good and tight. I removed the starter motor and stripped it down only to find that the brush box had cracked and was not connecting properly with the armature. Walk away Garth walk away… I tell myself whilst gazing at a large hammer. I give myself an hour to calm down and go back to the car; yep its knackered, there’s no repairing that.

So does anyone know where I can get hold of a replacement brush box? I have found what I thought was a replacement unit a Motocraft BHB18 (see images below) it is more or less the correct design and diameter but it’s too deep 20mm instead of 14mm so I can’t put the unit back together. It seemed likely to me that if I can get one this close off the shelf, then there must be a second hand unit or a cross reference part out there somewhere and someone here is likely to know where.

Again thank you in advance for any tips and comments.    

post-5563-0-44883100-1361304638.jpgpost-5563-0-34117400-1361304664.jpg

Garth

Edited by G4RTHV8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

some Dejavous ?  ;)

..think I have said something about this critical point within here (and in other Forums..) so often

-refer to my post in the *parts reference* -the starter is a mixup of *Delco-Remy & Mitsubishi*, with mentioned reference in the other post it's all plug&play and the brush set [14mm hight] for its own just cost less than 10€ in Europe !

the full box, with brush is around 14-20€

..a lot less than 400€ for a new starter :D

Edited by Günter

Thanks again Gunter,

For those out there who might want to know the brush box/brush holder (inclusive of brushes) is any one of the following Mitsubishi part Nos. M321X 04471, 04771, 05171, 06671 or 07071 all of which are available direct in the UK from Wood Autos (Huddersfield) or Holger Christiansen UK (Nottingham) at around £16.00 + P & P.

Regards,

Garth

as said in the parts-reference   ..what I have used is this:

http://www.anlasser-teile.de/Anlasser-Zubehoer/Kohlenbuersten/KOHLEBUeRSTEN-KOHLE-45x12x125-mm-MITSUBISHI-JASX44-28::1762.html

MITSUBISHI-JASX44-28  4.5x12x12.5-mm

(Link seems to be broken now?)

...so I have to correct me, it was not the 14mm it was a set of 12mm high brushes that I've used

..anyway as we all can see there are parts available for not much so money, especially compared to the hassle and cost of a replacement of this starter if you have to call a Lotus-dealership.

Edited by Günter