free hit
counters
S2 Alloy Chassis Tubes - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lou R

S2 Alloy Chassis Tubes

Hello All,

I'm in the early stages of restoring my 79 Federal S2 and could use some advice from those who have gone through this before me.  Specifically, I'm getting ready to use a local shop to fabricate the alloy cooling tubes that run through the chassis.  When I disassembled the car I removed (4) tubes at the front crossmember - the two larger tubes that are the radiator supply and return lines (at the top of the crossmember) and two smaller tubes that, presumably, serve as the heater core supply and return lines (at the bottom left of the front crossmember, as you face the crossmember).  When you look at the crossmember, there are (8) holes (sorry, having difficulty posting a photo).  I'm fairly confident there are only the four tubes described above but I would feel much more comfortable if someone could confirm this with their car so I can be certain these extra "holes" are not used.  Also, the number of holes that exit the chassis at the rear doesn't correspond to the holes on the front crossmember.  Does anyone have an explanation for these apparent extra "holes" ? 

Thanks,

Lou R      

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

hi lou, the extra hole are for the clutch pipe, brake pipe and servo valcum pipe, i think thats what its called? Have a look at my chassis on the restoration sec under Small progress. hope this helps, Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much.  After reading your response I recall seeing the rear brake and clutch lines passing through the front crossmember.  When I purchased my car it didn't have the brake servo hose attached to anything and there definitely wasn't an additional tube passing through the chassis.   But, of course, it only makes sense that it would have to connect to a vacuum source in the engine bay.  Can you please confirm if the brake servo tube that runs through the chassis is also an alloy tube (similar to the heater core tubes) and is not a hose.  I see where SJ lists one but no photo.  I suspect it is an alloy tube so I'll plan to measure it up and have another tube fabricated similar to the heater core tubes.   I hate to think of the problems this would have caused had I not asked the question.  Thankfully, there are forum members such as yourself to help newcomers on their restorations.  Thanks again for clarifying. 

Lou R 

Phil,
Thanks for your earlier response to my query on the composition of the brake servo tube that runs through the chassis.  Could I impose upon you for an additional detail ?  Specifically, I checked the servo hose that connects to the alloy tube and it is indeed 3/8" as you noted.  So, I will endeavor to have an alloy pipe fabricated to the 3/8" diameter you advised earlier.  Unfortunately, this tube was missing from my car at the time I purchased it.  Can you please advise if this chassis tube is a straight run or if it has any bends at either end.  
Many thanks,
Lou R

Hi Lou,

it's bended at one end, versus engine, you can see it marked with a red arrow on the pic.

Hope this help.

Giorgio

post-3419-0-05000900-1361556204.jpg

hi lou, just a quick note, the valcuum pipe on mine is made from a mild steel which can be easily bent and shaped. cheers Paul