free hit
counters
SE fuel pump removal from tank - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rowge

SE fuel pump removal from tank

Oh dear I was changing fuel filter and grommets from filter to fuel pump when I noticed the pipe coming out from tank and from the pump looks to have been repaired with with a blob of filler, when I replace the grommets I have visions of the pipe fracturing and spraying petrol everywhere, can the pump assembly be removed by undoing the cam ring and the pump assembly removed without removing the tank? I hope so

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yes it's easy to remove the pump without removing the tank.  Spray a little lube like WD-40 on there before tapping the ring around with a drift and hammer (brass is best because it won't spark!).

When you do remove the pump, you should also probably just replace it with a new pump, it seems they are starting to fail after ~23 years...  If the pump can't flow enough, then you run lean with boost!  I also highly recommend that you remove and do not re-install the pulsation damper above the pump.  It is a source of fuel pressure loss, and can cause some real problems.  It should be replaced with a short piece of fuel submersion rated tubing and 2 good clamps.

Here's how I did it, btw this all came with the BOSCH 69218 fuel pump kit from Amazon.  Including the correct o-ring for the tank.

IMG_3749.JPG

Old X180-R pump and pulsation damper on bottom, new BOSCH pump on top.  Short section of hose replaces pulsation damper (which was a source of possible pressure drop due to poor seal).  Original pump missing foam jacket, since it split and almost fell off.

its a bit tight in there. i used a long piece of wood and ahammer to tap the ring. when putting it back it can be a bit of a pain. so you can slip the ring round and almost locate two of the tabs then tap it round to get the 3rd in.

Lube like Wd-40 will help in removal.  Do not re-use the o-ring for the tank!  It'll most likely swell too big to put back in anyways, mine grew a ton when I removed it.

Get a new o-ring and lube it with some silicone grease, like vacuum grease (preferably) or di-electric tune up grease as an alternative.  This allows easy assembly, a good seal, and won't swell the rubber.

Fuel pump out, cam ring and o ring look like new, ordered a new pump assembly, replaced charcoal canister pipes, fuel filter, wow seem to have wires everywhere, chargecooler pump rebuilt, twin header tank rust killed, primed and painted, new clutch slave cylinder fitted and bled, new oil filter from PNM ordered and Mobil 1 10w60 oil (on offer at Halfords)

New fuel pump assembly fitted, bargain price £50 as it was in the Lotus NOS list, went in ok after a few goes, and a few episodes of cramp along the way, new fuel filter, coolant systems flushed, new coolant, system bled and main fans coming on, happy days, boot replaced after feeding wires back through the boot, thinking of elongating the slot to the top so that the loom can be fed in from the top rather than feeding it all through the hole, any thoughts