free hit
counters
Can anyone tell me what this black box is? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
vintaylor

Can anyone tell me what this black box is?

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working with the body shop trying to fill in any unwanted holes.  I had this black box attached in my front boot compartment and the box looks too new to be something original.. 

At some point in its past, my car had an immobiliser installed.. could this box be related to it?

If so, I'll go ahead and fill it in as I am removing the immobiliser from the car.

DSCF2995_zpsa7c81052.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd go with your guess of related to the immobiliser. Certainly doesn't look original, mainly by the fact the wires aren't the usual Lucas colours.

Since that picture, the wires have been cut.. Do you think I can just remove the box and the key fob unit on the dash and it should be OK?

I hope this is going to turn into some wiring nightmare lol

I think most immobilisers are wired so that if the battery supply is cut the vehicle will not start, if you've had it running and not had to de-active the immobiliser than you should be fine. If you haven't it shouldn't be too bad to sort as hopefully the wires that were altered will still be in place.

Definitely looks like an immobiliser as all the wires are black to give the thief a harder time. I fitted one to my kit car a few years back and it isolated the ignition circuits (starter and switched live to the coil) and fuel pump, if you follow the black wires you should eventually come across the original loom which should just need the matching colours reconnecting.

Thanks Will,

I'll take a note and check it out again once I get working on restoring the original wiring loom