free hit
counters
Oil Weight for V8 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
joeyoesprit

Oil Weight for V8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Joey - I'm using the extended performance Mobil 1 15W50 in my V8 with no issues, can't find the old 15W50 red cap stuff any longer.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

Hi,

I've been using Castrol Rs racing 10w60 i thought this was the recommended weight ,while looking for the cambelt service bulletin i found one about the oil

'Mobil 1 5w/40 is the specific oil recommended for the 918 engine as used in the Esprit V8. Mobil have reformulated this product to give better cold starting and engine efficiency with a new viscosity of 0W/40. Lotus have tested and approved the new spec Mobil 1.'

There you go

cheers Andy

There's a little known site around that has this info on it....ah there it is :

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/ETechnical/oil.html

:lol:

There's a bit on 15w50.

Mobil Oil Update (23.02.2005)

Mobil 1 Extended Performace" @ 15W-50

Lotus have not been advised of this update in the Mobil 1 range yet. However they will investigate and advise. Knowing the way Mobil operate it will be an updated Mobil 1 so we expect it to be suitable for Lotus Engines. As soon as they get the official information Lotus should let LEW know. Keeping up with all the Lubrication updates world-wide is almost impossible. Most Oil Companies offer different Grades and have different marketing strategies for each country and sometimes have different identification names for the same product.

facebook = [email protected]

I re-read the operating and service manuals and Service manual says Mobil 1 oil weight is either 5W50 or 5W30. Alternative weights for "NON Mobil 1" are 15W50, 10W60, 20W50, 15W50.

So according to both the service manual and operating manual, Lotus does not recommend Mobil 1 15W50 oil... only 5W50 or 5W30? So why does the Lotus dealer recommends to use Mobil 1 15W50? Was there a

service note from Lotus to their dealers stating to use Mobil 1 (15W50) in the V8s?

I'm very confused and this is bizarre! I only want to put the correct oil in the engine... according to Lotus. So which is correct

Edited by joeyoesprit

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I re-read the operating and service manuals and Service manual says Mobil 1 oil weight is either 5W50 or 5W30. Alternative weights for "NON Mobil 1" are 15W50, 10W60, 20W50, 15W50.

So according to both the service manual and operating manual, Lotus does not recommend Mobil 1 15W50 oil... only 5W50 or 5W30? So why does the Lotus dealer recommends to use Mobil 1 15W50? Was there a

service note from Lotus to their dealers stating to use Mobil 1 (15W50) in the V8s?

I'm very confused and this is bizarre! I only want to put the correct oil in the engine... according to Lotus. So which is correct

This is important to me too! I am changing my oil for the first time this weekend.

Should I get 15W/50 or 5W/50???

Help!!!

Anyone?!?!

Being in Louisville and your version of winter is not far off, I would go with 5w/30 for everyday driving. Since its synthetic, you get the high temp protection without having to put the heavy weight in. That way it warms up more quickly (and thats where most of the wear happens). If you were going to the track or planning something more agressive, you could go to something heavier.

Just my two cents worth.

Maybe we are coming at this with the wrong idea....???

Why do we assume that there can only be 'ONE' possible oil spec/make option?.. by implication the use of ANY other close spec will cause severe damage to our engine... !

Any spec close to the manufacturers suggested grade will be perfectly good.. the owners driving style will have significantly more effect.

Jeff

Edited by jeff_hooper

Joey - I'm using the extended performance Mobil 1 15W50 in my V8 with no issues, can't find the old 15W50 red cap stuff any longer.

I'm leaning towards using the Extended Performance 15W50 also. Since the Lotus dealer always used the 15W50 and I had no problems I'm going to stick with it. Just wasn't sure about the Extended Performance brand.

Thanks for everyone advise.

JoeyO

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

FYI - I found this on the main lotus web page

http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_aftsales...&page_id=38

Engine Oil

In order to ensure the longevity and reliability of the vehicle, it is most important that only the specified lubricants are used. It is an entirely false economy to try to save money by using lower quality oils, which may degade before the next change interval and provide inadequate protection before the end of the term. High oil consumption may also result.

The engine is factory filled with a top quality mineral oil to be used during the running-in period until the After Sales Service. Once running-in has been completed, it is considered that fully synthetic engine oils represent the best value in terms of fuel economy and wear protection. A multigrade oil is designated with a low temperature viscosity grade (first number with

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

FYI - I found this on the main lotus web page

http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_aftsales...&page_id=38

Engine Oil

In order to ensure the longevity and reliability of the vehicle, it is most important that only the specified lubricants are used. It is an entirely false economy to try to save money by using lower quality oils, which may degade before the next change interval and provide inadequate protection before the end of the term. High oil consumption may also result.

The engine is factory filled with a top quality mineral oil to be used during the running-in period until the After Sales Service. Once running-in has been completed, it is considered that fully synthetic engine oils represent the best value in terms of fuel economy and wear protection. A multigrade oil is designated with a low temperature viscosity grade (first number with

Its time for oil change for me to I hear the new mobil extended performance its not that good some local guys switched to Red line 15W-50 and Greddy GR-1 10W-60 oil

has any one tried the GR-1 oil I hear lots of good things

http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Ca...;SubCategory=24

thanks

Tony

FWIW - Mobil just changed their Mobile 1 formulation due to complaints of camshaft failures on the "new" (gold cap) extended life 15/50. They have reverted the "new" extended life formula "closer" but not the same as to what the original (red cap) formula was. If you're running on the current extended life 15/50 (gold cap) and drive "hard" then you may want to think about swapping it out for something else - as always, your mileage may vary ........

Edited by fmxa

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!