free hit
counters
Electrical help needed. Door fuse? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Buddsy

Electrical help needed. Door fuse?

As I am working around the car trying to get the electric bits all working I need some help with the doors. I fitted wing mirrors and at first I didn't think they worked as they just clicked when I used the joy stick. Then I found you need to keep clicking them and they move incrementally in steps! So I have power there. The cigar lighters don't seem to work. Something quite simple and they both don't work so I'm thinking its more likely its a fuse rather than both have broke? Also they don't illuminate when I turn the lights on. Also the door warning on the dash doesn't work or the door interior/light doesn't work. I see in the wiring diagram (from what I can make of it) the cigar lighters and illumination is on the same circuit with an in-line fuse? Any one know where I would find it?

Any help would be most welcomed.

Buddsy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine were in plastic holders behind the central console.  They were loomed up with tape so almost impossible to find, even though I had the dash out at the time!  When I had picked it apart they were each on a very small loomed bit of wiring, only three of four wires in the loom from memory.  I'd fish around behind the central console for a skinny bit of loom and feel along it.  Good luck!

cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon thanks for your info. Sounds interesting. I have my radio out at the moment so have access through the hole. I have found a couple of inline fuses there for the radio I think. I will have a good look to see what else I can find!

Cheers

Buddsy

So I found the in-line fuses Simon told me about but when I tested the connection for the radio I had no power there. Scratching my head looking at the wiring diagram for a while I still couldn't figure it out. Then in bed I remembered at the very beginning of my restoration thread I had asked about a green wire when I was unsure where it went when I was fitting a new ignition barrel. I wondered if this should be an earth and so I tried. As i connected the green wire I could hear relays clicking in. Now I have power to my cigar lighters but not lights. The lights on the doors kinda work but the switches for the doors are a bit sticky I think as a wiggle on the passenger door get the red lights on the end of the doors working. Still a bit more to do but it feels in the right direction.

Buddsy

I had to remake all the earths in both my doors when I got my car. This exercise was a result of doing some other work in the drivers door on the door strap, which had been overextended. I noticed the earths were not real flash, so undid them all, cleaned them up and refixed them. Stopped a bunch of odd little electric gremlins.

Thanks I will try that. I have some odd things now the lighters are working but not the illumination and I checked the bulbs when had the door trims off and they are on the same circuit I think from the diagram. 

Also now my central locking has started working...sort of! I think this is part of my after-market alarm system? Or has any body else with a car from around 85 have central locking?

Buddsy