free hit
counters
Carb help - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cbclotus

Carb help

Hi All.My carbs are off the car.i need to buy a overhaul kit for them.Is Euro carbs the best place to buy from.The car is a HC1987 model.I had a quick look .Where are the numbers of the carbs.Are they located on the tags with matching numbers.Thanks Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I bought mine from there. My carbs were DCLA 40s I think. I think yours should be 45s. There is a special seal kit for the turbos. If you cant work it out give them a call, I'm sure they would advise.

Have you got the Des Hamil book? I found it definitely worth having?

Buddsy

Thats the book I used too. (Hammill BTW)

I found the Eurocarbs kit (for my S3 NA) had all the right bits and some left over (gulp!)

Good price too.

Carbs are fairly straight forward but I wouldn't recommend taking them apart and setting them up again without Des Hammil's book.  

I've found the Lotus manual for basic settings quite good at achieving a decently even engine.

Get a set of 4 vacuum gauges...makes things really simple! Usually used on motorcycles.

http://www.carbtune.co.uk/index.html

I'm still using the original 4 tube mercury gauge....not allowed these days as mercury is "too dangerous". Yeah.....and motorcycling is safe, then????

I second that, OK the average home mechanic may not have those but somebody who has some suitable level of mechanical aptitude can use them and get the car to run quite well. Perhaps not as well as somebody who has been tuning carburettor engines for 30+years but good enough to idle well and if it's stock engine then all the jets etc are already defined so no issues beyond that.