free hit
counters
clutch pedal travel - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
David Corns

clutch pedal travel

Hi

I have a 1989 turbo esprit.  The internal spring broke in my clutch master cylinder.  I have replaced the master unit with a new Wilwood one, retaing my old push rod and setting.  However, after bleeding the system the clutch operation is on the floor.  The Wilwood one is supposed to be the same bore as the original Girling one, anyone used this make and had problems? 

I have checked the slave cylinder just incase of a leak but all seams to be fine.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is the clutch pedal in a different position (presumably further forward) with the new cylinder given that you used the same adjustment as the old cylinder?

Do you have any way now of measuring the distance from the mounting face of the units to the piston when it's in its rest position on both of them?

I deliberately replaced my master cylinder with a 3/4 bore to reduce pedal travel. (personal preference, as it makes travel stiffer)

Having said that the clutch is notoriously difficult to bleed, I jack the back up to do it. We have a member who advocates undoing the slave cylinder, and holding it up vertically, bleed nipple at the top to make sure to get all the air out. A vacuum pump can also be handy.

On second thoughts, I might have you jacking up the wrong end, whichever end will point the bleed nipple up, it's because the cylinder is horizontal that the problem exists.

Thanks for the replies. 

I will have a go at disconnecting the slave and holding it vertical to ensure a good bleed of the system. 

The measurement is the same as I used the original pushrod so I never had to alter any settings and made sure I was in the top hole of the peddle. However it never hurts to recheck.

David

Has the pedal adjustment screw been moved at all? Probably not, but worth checking as you check the pedal hole

Edited by slewthy

Hi

Thanks for the tips and advice, adjustment screw has not been altered.  Can I just clarify, if I undo the slave cylinder and hold it in a vertical postion, am I supposed to holding it higher than the master cylinder? The rear of the car will be jacked up to allow me acces to do the bleeding. I have not got the luxury of of lift.

Cheers

David

Hi David,

it does not mater how high it is as long as the bleed nipple is upper most on the slave cylinder.

If you are still having issues after doing this , I can pop over and help sort it out for you,

Dave 

As long as you have the bleed nipple at the top, the slave does not need to be higher than the master. Any air in the line should get pushed through the hydraulic line as it is a fairly small diameter.

:hrhr: walked away in the middle of posting and Dave beat me.

Hi Dave

Thanks for the offer I may need to take you up on it.  I will attempt to rebleed again on Saturday, what day /s would you be available to assist.  I could come over to you if that would be easier.  Im in Sheldon, not that far from you.

Cheers

David

Hi David

If You still unable to bleed fully on Saturday, but able to get it over here on

Sunday that will be great. Even if you have fixed it you are still welcome to pop

over for a test drive and chat about all the meets and hoons we all go on..

I  have two esprit guys coming over already on Sunday to collect one, so we

could fix it if still needed and meet some new faces at the same time.

I have all the necessary facilities and tools to make access easier.

Dave    

Hi Dave

That sounds good.  Do you want to email your address and contact number to me:

[email protected]

What time are you guys getting together?

Cheers

David

Hi David

E Mail with details sent...

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the message, but I have not received your email.  Can you try again please?

Cheers

David

Hi David,

I sent E-mail again, If still not gone through my mobile is:-

07889 647406.  If you call i will give rest of details..

Also sent you a PM

Dave

Edited by CHANGES

Having just replaced the clutch, annoyingly I had just a smidgen of air in the hydraulics. It's real @!#%$^&*()&^%$#@!, yes and all that again. But I came up with a solution.

My drive is on a slope I usually park pointing down, so I parked facing up, then I chocked 3 of the 4 wheels jacked up the side of the slave cylinder, and took off the rear wheel, then I dropped the hub down onto a block of wood, the idea was then to jack up the front, but I still had too much weight on the jack. But I had succeeded in getting the bleed nipple of the slave cylinder high enough that I was then able to gravity bleed it, took a couple of minutes all done, air gone.  :happy dance: