free hit
counters
Glovebox illumination - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've just discovered that the lamp in my glovebox isn't working. There's no problem with the actual lamp, or the bulb. I swapped them over with the boot lamp, and it still doesn't work. Can anybody please tell me when it's supposed to come on? Is there a switch in the glovebox to turn it on when open, or should it be always on? Only when the headlights are on? All suggestions welcome.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hmmm, mine doesn't work either, and it isn't the bulb.  According to the wiring diagram, that particular circuit isn't fused separately either (!) but there is a glove box switch, that isn't immediately evident when looking at the car.

fyi, the glove box lamp does require the key to be inserted to be operative.

Thanks for the replies! Any idea where the switch is? I've had a good look around, and can't see one. Seems to be the most likely culprit.

I can't even see the light in the parts book! 

14_12.gif

It is in section 17.17, but not drawn in place. Same fuse as all interior lighting.

No sign of the switch, either. Or is it combined with the latch actuator?

Have you tried manually turning on the light in the roof lining, to see if that activates it?

See here:

#06       Lamp, glovebox, footwells and boot A132M6036F

#08       Switch, glovebox lamp A132M6018F

Wisdom is knowing where to look :hrhr:

post-12365-0-52298600-1361967615.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

Ok, I found the switch. It's mounted in the middle of the back of the glovebox inner liner (part 6 in the diagram that Bibs posted). Basically, it's almost hidden behind the glovebox itself.

Now I need to figure out how to remove the main glovebox assembly so I can actually get to the switch.

Edited by Brendonian

The glovebox comes out pretty easily, just be very careful that you don't tug too hard on the little cord that holds it or it'll snap out of the sprung retractor /VOE

Slowly and carefully! 

When I oversaw the installing of an EZI-DAB the unit was located behind the glovebox. I remember it being very easy to remove, but not taking enough care with that string. There's a crimp on it which holds it in place and the string can easily pull through the crimp. Not the end of the world, it's a £5 part but a PITA all the same if you can avoid damaging it. 

Well, that was easy. I couldn't see how to actually remove the glovebox from its hinge pins, fortunately! It wasn't necessary. I just pulled the switch straight out of its mounting hole, and the problem was immediately obvious. One of the wires in the back is directly connected to the main pole of the switch, but as the wires were a bit twisted, the pole wasn't able to slide freely. All I had to do was straighten the wires, and pop the switch back in.

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers Brendan, I will be having a look at mine this weekend, as soon as I get back from Moscow, fingers crossed for a similarly simple solution.

Best of luck with that. I would think its most likely your problem. The switch is quite a poor design, and very prone to this issue.

As I can't remember ever seeing a light on in mine, I'm now going to have to check that on return home from offshore. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't!!  Hardly ever use it anyway as so small. 

Thanks to this thread, found the plunger switch, wiggled it about and the light came on. Replaced the bulb with a supabright led festoon bulb while I was at it.

Sorted.

Excellent! Glad I was able to pay back the help I received here.

Suggestion-- swapped out all of my bulbs with the 2 39mm LED festoon bulbs for the rear plates and 6 42mm LED bulbs for the trunk lights, dome light, foot wells and glovebox light. I accidentally left my dome light before I went on a trip and came back a week later. The car fired up just fine! Incandescent bulbs would have drained the battery completely.