Lotus number 5 - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus number 5

The Pits

Lotus 1 was a 1990 Esprit Turbo SE.

Lotus 2 was a 1994 Lotus Carlton.

Lotus 3 was a 1999 Esprit V8 GT.

Lotus 4 is a 2006 Elise Sportsracer.

Lotus 5 is going to be an Exige V6 Cup.

I've got one on order and am planning to blog about it in some detail on here over the year.

It's not due for a bit but it's a very exciting prospect. I've been fortunate to drive and own many different cars and I keep coming to the same conclusion: Nothing drives like a Lotus! I sold a V12 Vantage to buy this car. I think that's as big a compliment as you can get.

The latest Lotus Racing brochure now claims 1110kg, up 30kg from the original target weight. Still a useful 66kg lighter than the standard car but it won't make that with aircon added (neither will standard car make 1176kg with aircon mind, it's optional for both). Aircon used to be 15kg on the Elise, hopefully they've found a way of doing it more lightly now! There are ways of reducing weight further though, the polycarbonate rear engine cover being a major one. However I'll see how I get on with the standard one. It will be quite novel to have some rear visibility in an Exige!

It's got no radio of course but I can barely hear the one in my Elise anyway, so I figured I won't miss that much. Ipod for long journeys is the plan. I definitely won't miss the battery-draining alarm system. The removable steering wheel is a much more effective anti-theft deterrent.

Choosing the colour was agony but here's a rough photoshop of what I went for.

post-15207-0-74734600-1361746661.jpg
post-15207-0-65992600-1361745735.jpg
post-15207-0-33882400-1361745567.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have an official welcome :thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

And an official one from me as well. :welcome:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The software resizes then to fit into the page and not spill outside the frame. Click them and they'll enlarge.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Bibs (and also for the welcome) but the pics aren't distorted in the other thread. Does two threads on the same subject constitute "banging on about it"? I suspect so.

I'd also like to thank Russell Gibbons at Lotus Racing for being so helpful and generous with his time.  :thumbup:

(Is that kind of what you had in mind Russell or have I overdone it?  ;))

Gibbo is a legend in his own lifetime, lovely guy :thumbsup:

Evora NA

Thanks. There were quite a few colours I really liked and very tempted by. If I was going for an 'S' I'd have had Military Grey, really unusual and not just another 'grey' absolutely stunning in the flesh. Configurator just doesn't do it justice (nothing new there).

If I was feeling bolder I'd have been tempted by Autumn Bronze. Mainly because of the bronze Esprit from 'For Your Eyes Only'.

For maximum contrast with the satin black panels I'd have gone for Silver.

Before visiting the factory I thought I wanted Motorsport Black but decided against dark colours in the end because the matt panels are lighter. To look black you need lighter paint. MS Green won out in the end because I wanted it to be instantly recognizable as a Lotus.

But I'd doff my Colin Chapman style cap to anyone who ordered one of these:

v6cupABside_zps7c27f459.jpg

silverv6cup_zpsa966eba1.jpg

Why not come along to the pub meet at the the Kings Head in Wickham Square tonight and say hello to some fellow Lotus owners. Have you been living in Southampton long as I'm sure we would have spotted you in one of your Lotus cars as us local anoraks have been around this area for a good fifteen odd years and must have spotted you. We also go along to the local Pistonheads meetings do you attend those? Anyway it would be nice to meet you if you can come along and introduce yourself and let us have a look at your Elise.

Very kind invitation but quite short notice!

I have been living abroad until last year so a relative newcomer to the area (I have no idea where Wickham Square is for starters!).

Very kind invitation but quite short notice!

I have been living abroad until last year so a relative newcomer to the area (I have no idea where Wickham Square is for starters!).

The postcode is PO17 5JN about 15 mins or less than 10 in an Elise from Southampton

Edited by B1 RMA

Yes disappointing but we did get a factory tour and some nice cakes by way of consolation.

But even driving home in that appalling weather I couldn't help think was a great car my Elise is. Even with a V6 Cup in the garage I will miss it terribly. The V6 Exige is somewhere between the old Exige and an Esprit to drive. The extra size and weight is inescapable and there are times you just can't beat the lack of mass an Elise offers.

I'm looking forward to the article coming out but I hope my car doesn't get too slated, I've only just realized how bald my rear tyres are. Richard Meaden described it as 'a bit slippy'! I was hoping to finish them off on the track day. Nevermind.

Hope to see you at a few things during the year. Lovely car too by the way.

cheers!

:thumbup: 

Thanks. There were quite a few colours I really liked and very tempted by. If I was going for an 'S' I'd have had Military Grey, really unusual and not just another 'grey' absolutely stunning in the flesh. Configurator just doesn't do it justice (nothing new there).

If I was feeling bolder I'd have been tempted by Autumn Bronze. Mainly because of the bronze Esprit from 'For Your Eyes Only'.

For maximum contrast with the satin black panels I'd have gone for Silver.

Before visiting the factory I thought I wanted Motorsport Black but decided against dark colours in the end because the matt panels are lighter. To look black you need lighter paint. MS Green won out in the end because I wanted it to be instantly recognizable as a Lotus.

But I'd doff my Colin Chapman style cap to anyone who ordered one of these:

v6cupABside_zps7c27f459.jpg

silverv6cup_zpsa966eba1.jpg

you can always do a wrap on the car if you not sure ...beats painting hands down !!

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !