free hit
counters
Grammar & Spell Checking - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Grammar & Spell Checking

ramjet

Based on the McLaren P13 topic where the linked article has McLaren spelt McClaren, I thought to myself,

"How many people simply trust the grammar or spell checkers built into phones or word processor programs?"

How many of us actually check a text message, email, document or post on here prior to hitting the save or post button?

I can remember, here in Australia, an academic stating that spelling was not nearly as important as the thought a sentence was trying to convey.

I would think though, with English anyway, that a sentence could have an entirely different meaning, if the wrong spelling of a word is used. Even the omission of a punctuation mark can change the meaning of a sentence.

Are we losing basic language skills?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

51FN5Pm2XCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That's how Bruce spelt it, so that's good enough for me and is what is retained to this day.

Are we losing basic language skills?

Yes I believe we are, as a current student of literature I don't see it as doom and gloom, just evolution. English language, literature and comprehension will become less important as an overall "Communication" evolves to replace it.

Recently we have seen language change, the way we right an email is different to way we write letters, the way we text differs again, that the message has been understood by the recipient becomes the issue.

Looking back to the education I received and comparing it the one my daughter received, well there is no comparison, but 50 years ago we don't know what we know what we know now, so if school years are to remain the same some skills are going to have to make way for newer ones.

(please don't tell my Professor I said that)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The academic you mention was probably referring to something like this...

405687_535862219767897_210318458_n.jpg

There's no excuse (bar perhaps dyslexia!) for poor grammar and spelling nowadays, computers are there to help! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My spelling isn't bad, there are a few words I regularly spell incorrectly, inconsistently incorrect. There are however many words that when I type the letters appear in the wrong order because I type using two fingers (or most of the letters are by one of the two first fingers), unfortunately I'm not nimble and so one hand can get to where it should be before the one with the earlier instruction one has achieved it's goal. It's things like form and from, nad is often typed. These things could be ignore except on many occasions the who meaning is lost if I use the wrong word and so many words have the same characters in different orders.

I use spellcheck to resolve the issues unfortunately it sometimes gets it wrong and I don't spot that the wrong word has been suggested.

How many people use 'swype' keyboards on their phones?

You don't even have to spell correctly, just get the right 'shape' of the word and the phone recognises it.

I agree that this doesn't help me learn to spell but it is sooooooooo much quicker than normal typing and  also much faster than usual predictive text. 

can't stop the future....

Incidentally, my 4 year old can read by seeing the first and last letters of words, in context of course.

I wonder if people in the 19th century shook their heads at the loss of the 'long s' (f) . Probably just sucked their teeth!

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Andy...thanks for that....I was beginning to wonder if the Moley brain was starting to fall apart, as I do exactly as you describe as well!! Form for from and nad too....Hooray!! It's not the grey matter getting holes in it, then.

Unless it's both of us, of course.....(!)

As for Spellcheck and Grammar stuff....mine is between my ears and I will NOT be gainsaid by some machine, probably programmed by a foreign Johnnie whose English differs from the mother tongue anyway....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 1 year later...
  • Gold FFM

Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"

:)

• Like 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

It's the small things that annoy me

"alot" is two words a lot

Collision, I collided with a tree !!!!!! no you hit a tree, the tree was not in motion only you were.

Try and stop me!!!! no... If I try "and" I stop you I succeeded, Try "to" stop me.

:D

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

• Gold FFM

This would be a good book for you grammar nazi's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Lynne-Truss/dp/0007329067/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400612414&sr=1-1&keywords=eats+shoots+and+leaves

Not sure if it's got anything to do with the panda and the prostitute joke :)

Signature not working...

'Tis better to get laid than get layed. :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

LOTS?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

That old chestnut....best way around that is to use "Lotus cars". Avoids all the cod Latin.......

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Nothing to do with Latin as it's a noun. Therefore can be spelled how the owner of the name wishes rather than conforming to correct language usage.

"Hello, my name is Xesen. Pronounced John." 

Lotuses - defn. more than one Lotus

Lotuseses - defn. more than one Lotuses i.e. 4

Lotuseseses - defn. more than one Lotuseses i.e. 8

There are no plurals that account for any odd number of Lotuseseseses. Only even numbers.

Just ask me for all your really tricky word needs.

Alumnus is singular. Alumni is plural.

Ergo, Lotus = singular. Loti = plural. 

(Assuming your car is a male. If it's not, I can't help you.)

The fact that most people don't use the Loti form is merely an indication of the incredible depth of ignorance and complete lack of proper upbringing prevalent in today's digital "heathenisation" (UK spelling employed for consistency) of correct grammatical and syntactical usage, whereas an understanding of the Latin language permits one to express a level of arrogance seldom seen on automotive forums, and greatly facilitates the level of hubris and vanity required in order to construct the longest single sentence you will ever see on such a forum, unless, of course, you "copy and paste" said sentence to the next sequential position...and add your own addendum.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

Loto, Lotas, Lotat, Lotamus, Lotatis, Lotant  (v. To drive quite fast)

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.