free hit
counters
Center 2 cylinders stopped working. OK spark, no fuel? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Techspy

Center 2 cylinders stopped working. OK spark, no fuel?

1994 S4. Was out driving today, made several stops and on the last one when I started the car had no power. Starts and idles ok. Limped home and found that when I diconnect the plug wires from the centeer 2 cylinders, there is no change but they are sparking. I diconnect either of the 2 end cylinders and the car will die if I dont connect it rigth back. I did the same with the injector power connecter and it does teh same thing. Freescan shows no erroe codes. Any ideas? is there a relay or fuse for the center 2 cylinder injectors?

I did clean the engine today but had it warmed up first and made sure there was no standing water etc afterwards and let it idle and warm up for awhile. Again, went for a drive and all was well until about the 4th stop.

Thanks!

Edited by Techspy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First thing I'd do is a compression test!

the cylinders are batch fired with spark and fuel.  Cylinder #2&3 are paired and #1&4 are paired.  So if a problem happens to both of the cylinders on a pair, then it may be just a problem with one of the injectors for instance, but that problem shut down the entire circuit, hence both on that pair are not working.

It sounds like you have a bad injector or two.  I've had both 2&3 fail at the same time, both were clogged.

I would start by measuring the resistance of all 4 injectors.  They should be close to 2-3 Ohm.  If one or both are different, then that is it.  If they are all the same, then you might try swapping them around to see if the problem follows the injector.  So swap 2 for 1, but keep 3 and 4 where they are.  See if the problem follows to 1, or if it stays on 3.

If it is the injector, then I would replace all 4.  I replaced mine with BOSCH from FiveOmotorsport.

It could also be the injector driver circuit or the wiring.

Yup compression test

Had exactly the same symptoms when sue's car lost a chunk out of an exhaust valve.

It's a relatively simple test that will confirm / deny quite a lot of possibilities

John

the cylinders are batch fired with spark and fuel.  Cylinder #2&3 are paired and #1&4 are paired.  So if a problem happens to both of the cylinders on a pair, then it may be just a problem with one of the injectors for instance, but that problem shut down the entire circuit, hence both on that pair are not working.

It sounds like you have a bad injector or two.  I've had both 2&3 fail at the same time, both were clogged.

I would start by measuring the resistance of all 4 injectors.  They should be close to 2-3 Ohm.  If one or both are different, then that is it.  If they are all the same, then you might try swapping them around to see if the problem follows the injector.  So swap 2 for 1, but keep 3 and 4 where they are.  See if the problem follows to 1, or if it stays on 3.

If it is the injector, then I would replace all 4.  I replaced mine with BOSCH from FiveOmotorsport.

It could also be the injector driver circuit or the wiring.

Thats it. 3 injectors show 2.6 ohm and one of the non firing at 1.3. So yours was clogged? Is it possible to clean it or should it just be replaced?

Can you link me to the exact ones you bought from FiveOmotorsport?

Thanks!

Travis, shouldn't that be showing up on Freescan?

nope, never got a check engine light with bad spark plug leads or bad injectors.

My injectors went when I was 70 miles from home.  I did the swap method and determined that #2&3 were dead, and had my friend take apart his X180-R and bring me 2 injectors.  I was able to swap those in and drive home.  My friend made the 150mile round trip!

These are different than the ones that I bought from them in 2004, but they will work.  They do not have the top slots to clip them into the fuel rail, which I would prefer...

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/product-search/?v=17027

These are the primaries

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/10399us380-36lbs-us/euro-fit

These are the secondaries he lists currently... However if you search his site for "Lotus" is says those are secondaries for the V8...  Which are in truth very different than the secondaries for the 910 4 cyl...!!!

LUCAS 01D062B / NEW SETS

I would call Bruce at FiveO and tell him this is for the Lotus 910 4cyl intercooled.  And I woul dremind him of the stock injector specifications below, so that you get what you need, and not what his database tells him.

The Esprit 4cyl 89+ primaries are 370cc/min LOW Impedance Peak and Hold, top feed, with an EV1 connector

The secondaries on the chargecooled cars are 190cc/min HUGH Impedance Saturated, top feed, with an EV1 connector.

I went with 200cc/min secondaries because they didn't have 190cc/min.  That is fine, just don't go a lot bigger.

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and ordered a set from JAE. They had them in stock and shipped yesterday with overnight delivery. I just got home from a year in Afghanistan and just bought my Esprit back while I was there (owned her before and sold her 6 years ago) so I am anxious to get her back on the road.

I pulled the injectors out and tested tem again. 3 show 2.6 ohm and one of the non firing cylinders showed 1.3 ohm still. Hopefully I will have her running again this afternoon.

I assume I should reset the ECM?

Thanks again

You need to depressurize the fuel system! Then remove the battery ground. That will also reset the Ecu.