free hit
counters
Cambelt Tensioner Queries - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sir Paolo

Cambelt Tensioner Queries

Gents,

I know the WSM states that the nylatron piston doesn't require lubrication, but the last time the tensioner was rebuilt, the piston and springs were coated in what looked like a thin alluminium(?) type grease.

Please can you advise what I should/could use for this as I'd like to replace it with somehting similar (not copper slip - as this seems to be too thick). I do have some lithium grease...

Also, either due to my advancing years or the fact that the engine's been in bits for a while now, I can't recall which bolts/studs the tensioner earth strap is connected to.

Any advise/help much appreciated, as always!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I do give them a very light rubdown if it looks like they need it, and I have been known to show them some very light grease.  To be honest the huge tension will make sure they're where they need to be - never found a seized one.

I'd have to look at one to remember the earth, but as long as the pivot side is earthed to a base bolt/stud, it'll be fine.  No doubt someone will be along with a pic - can't quickly locate my ones!

Thanks Gary. Having looked into suitable lubricants, silicone grease seems to fit the bill. It was basically a case of avoiding petroleum based greases (as most are) which could damage the piston.

Mines been running on a smear of Copaslip for the past 20 odd years with no ill effects! When reassembling, you should be able to sort out the spacers as there's only one way they will fit with the snubber and tensioner aligned properly to the belt. As for the earth wire...it runs from under the head of the bolt holding the tensioner bearing holder together where the piston bears, to any suitable earthing point...again, a good look at the thing will show you where. Stops the cambelt from turning into a Van der Graaff generator!!

Thanks, John. A while ago I got an exploded diagram of the tensioner from the rdent website, and yes, it's fairly straight forward re spacers/snubber taking into account the belt run position (i.e. the snubber fits against the block, then the spacers, before the main body of the tensioner).

I'm sure Copperslip or derivatives are probably OK (as you've had no issues), but after I read up about plastic reaction with some petroleum based lubricants, I went for the silicone grease.

And yes - the importance of the earth-wire is not to be overlooked. Ever since I found out that it one had snapped (quite by chance as it's well hidden)!  

As for the earth wire...it runs from under the head of the bolt holding the tensioner bearing holder together where the piston bears, to any suitable earthing point...again, a good look at the thing will show you where. Stops the cambelt from turning into a Van der Graaff generator!!

If you leave the earth wire out would it could it then be classes as a hybrid then?  :D

Buddsy  :getmecoat: