free hit
counters
[PH News]Lotus endorses bio-ethanol power - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

[PH News]Lotus endorses bio-ethanol power

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo, check out our new news bot :lol:

Clever innit :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The good thing about Bio-ethanol is it's sustainable. The bad thing is Bio-ethanol from maize uses more energy to make than the fuel energy produced. Ethanol mixed the petrol is better, so I understand.

I'm sure Dermot would have a view on this subject.

The good thing is Bio-ethanol it's sustainable. The bad thing is Bio-ethanol from maize uses more energy to make than the fuel energy produced. Ethanol mixed the petrol is better, so I understand.

I'm sure Dermot would have a view on this subject.

i was refering to the powering cars versus feeding staving people debate that i have heard a lot about in the conversation circles around here....

shah

My Beautiful Car http://www.glcforum.com/ukesprit/forums/in...CODE=12&CID=182

ribbon200.gifProud to be a G-car ownerribbon200.gif

There is a fair amount of ethanol in race fuels. I suspect the new BP Ultimate 102 RON fuel has about 5-10% ethanol but I have not got hold of any yet. Ethanol is both a high octane molecule and also adds oxygen to the fuel mix which helps combustion.

To run a car on 100% ethanol the fuel tables have to be completly changed, the injectors are approx 4 times the size as ethanol is only a C2 hydrocarbon and so does not have the same calorific content per cc as conventional hydrocarbons.

Dermot

i was refering to the powering cars versus feeding staving people debate that i have heard a lot about in the conversation circles around here....

shah

Wow... that's a new one. :lol: I assume this is coming from the energy industry?

They will say *anything* to maintain the humungo profits. I can not beleive that the world doesn't have the capacity to produce enough sugar/corn to both feed it's people and power it exotic sportscars. :)

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)

There is but we're soooooo wasteful.

The grown foods that could feed 1000's are generally stuffed into animals like cattle that can only feed hundreds.

Interesting but tbh it'll end up being like the mini disc if you ask me, great when it 1st came out but quickly taken over by MP3 (ie fuel cells).

facebook = [email protected]

The Indy Racing League is switching to ethanol fuel for next year. It's actually reducing power but that's because we run 90% methanol and 10% ethanol now and the methanol has more oxygen and a higher latent heat of vaporisation that cools the inlet down. But the ethanol is less corrosive than the methanol.

If you were to switch your Esprit to ethanol, you would definitely need to upgrade the surgical plastic breather hose over the back window. If it started leaking you would get drunk while driving (but not in a pleasant way). That stuff stinks.

Interesting article, though.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

*4 topics merged into 1*

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.