free hit
counters
Geneva 2013 - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I remember that time too... That 4 pot designed for GM group that powered pretty much every Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, Isuzy  and Chevy built outside the US and some very dismal econoboxes  in the US!

Another Lotus designed engine that sold in ridiculous number is the old LS V8 smallblock that started its life in the Corvette C4 and has been used in pretty much every truck GM did for a good part of the last 20 years!

Didn't Toyota once develop a twin super charged 5.0l v8 lexus engine? ;)

Uh don't you mean a twin scroll supercharger?? In any case they don't produce it anymore but you are free to get in touch with TRD to get the bolt on supercharger... It's available and covered by manufacturer warranty in the US and Australia. Of course Spyker could also get that ridiculous surpercharged Ford 5L V8 with 620 bhp it is available as a crate engine.

My point is if the V8 has been developed far enough and Spyker/Youngman are funding it ,seeing that thing come to fruition is not much of a stretch.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the latest pic on the Venator B6 by Spyker, a car that I strongly suspect to be based on the VVA platform of the Lotus Evora.        That carbon/composite? folding roof may find its way o

Posted Images

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Lotus are slipping off the automotive map. What is their marketing budget right now? Tuppence?

I've decided to stop paying attention to any more  'Lotus New Dawn' stories. It's too stressful!  :scooter:

^^^

Now DRB hicom said that at terms Evora will be replaced by a new car with a new home sourced powerplant. 

Sorry, haven't been about so much lately so may have missed it, but when and where did DRB say that I can't find any mention of it anywhere? (I've only seen fairly vague commitments to retaining ownership and expanding sales in the far east).

The 4C is awesome and even the odd looking lights are growing on me. I also love the Pininfarina Sergio, which is much more interesting than the LaFerrari.

So, this is what I've heard.

Lotus now has an endorsed 5 year plan.

It focuses on replacing the current range, rather than moving the marque up market.

I heard (anecdotally) that Lotus blew £55m on engine development and only has prototypes to show for it.

My opinion - the Esprit is dead. The VVA platform in the Spyker (which is awesome news) is just that: some low volume platform sharing. Although, of course, it could lead anywhere over time.

Dealers (like Snow) seem suitably impressed by whatever the plan is that they have been sworn to secrecy over.

That's what I heard and what I think.

Awesome,

Sudders

Sudders and Dany

Thanks Mark, really interesting. I hope something new appears soon and it is a genuinely new product rather than a couple of new bumpers, a dodgy sat nav upgrade and some shouty stickers. However it is good to hear that there is a product plan and that the dealers are impressed. Hopefully the 2010 Elise concept will lend some inspiration to the next generation car.

In many ways I'd like the new approach was to replace the current models in the same markets but it doesn't fill me with much hope.  I managed to have a nose around a new Boxster a few months ago whilst killing some time in a Porsche dealer whilst they brought up my mate's RS and the difference in quality between it and any Lotus product is night-and-day. Now Alfa (with the might of Fiat) coming in the market with the 4C.  These sort of guys can use economies of scale in a way that Lotus never can.

I love the Evora as much as the next guy and when I wanted a good drive would pick it over any non-GT Porsche but I know the Porsche will be a lot easier to live with.  For a sunday drive they have a chance.  The Exige S is for me the most tempting car they make.

I realistically think they can own the sunday drive / take to a track enthusiast market (as my car is).  Outside that?

Sorry, haven't been about so much lately so may have missed it, but when and where did DRB say that I can't find any mention of it anywhere? (I've only seen fairly vague commitments to retaining ownership and expanding sales in the far east).

Remember when Lotus open that mega dealership in KL a few months back!

The higher ups at DRB Hicom/Proton announced a few elements of their 5 year plan. As Mark said there's a new business, that is focused on replacing Elise, Exige and Evora within the next 5 years! All cars would be based on a new platform and engine. I am assuming a refined VVA platform and home grown engine! 

Here's the link to the article from paultan.org

There was a point not so long ago where a Lotus designed engine was being manufactured every 10 seconds, or similar. I'll see if I can find the post I did about it...

I don't talk about Triumph 3-pot motorbike engines, generators or range extenders -or the old ZR1 Corvette engine (that was for example done by Mercury-marine, if you think about closer)  ..what I mean is own engines, not 'sold engineering-work' 

..Lotus does some notable engineering works for other companies, for sure -but what makes it worth as a brand is to build and sell own products ..not only knowledge. Some companies. like Merceds (Daimler-Benz) for example even develop and build own engine components, so the production and depth of development is even more refined.

other thing, on the Laborarri thing there:

599011_504810902889684_797429857_n.jpg

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I'd imagine that a new Elise with easy access/egress and a decent quality interior would sell like the proverbial hot cakes, but I believe it has been stated on here numerous times that the profit margins at the Elise's end of that market are very tight. I'm sure that a heavily revamped interior for the present Elise/Exige S would help enormously, now. I had high hopes after seeing the interior of the Geneva Roadster, and I don't think I'm the only one who felt that way!

The Evora as it is, now - and especially if they added the Mansory styled nose - seems to be the business. If it gets the oft-discussed refresh, this year, I sincerely hope it gets heavily promoted to the world's press; there have got to be a LOT of Porsche drivers out there, unaware of what a good alternative the Evora now represents.

However, if Lotus are going to really turn a profit, surely they need the Esprit. The Exige S has rightly done a great deal to counter the damage done to their image but access/egress and the interior are an issue and there's no getting away from that. I'd imagine a lot of potential buyers who would not have previously considered a Lotus were extremely interested until they saw the interior shots and read those inevitable sections of every review that detailed the experience of getting in and then described what you saw once you were there. Outside of the world of the Lotus enthusiast, customers expect a special interior in a £50-60,000 sports car; heck, they expect that for a £35,000 sports car! Picture the reviews for an Esprit that goes and handles the way we all know it will, and which has a stylish, sporty interior which matches the exterior. Picture the extra allure of Lotus showrooms with the new Esprit on display! Lotus needs a halo car no matter what 5 year plan is coming ...

I absolutely love my Evora, turns heads wherever I go and almost every time I go out people take photos. I love the way it drives and I'm glad I purchased it.

But, I looked at the new Boxster the other week and the build quality of that is exceptional. We do miss a soft top and I was looking at AM V8V but the new Boxster is a lot more car for the money. I've not seen the new Caymen yet but I love pictures of it and have I'm someone who has never liked Porsches - the proportions of the new models look better IMHO.

Porsche aftercare is brilliant too from what I hear.

My Evora headlights have started steaming up and although the dealer has requested new units Lotus aren't interested. This is not what you expect with a car costing so much and is swaying my future decisions already.

Back on thread, I'm hoping to be in Geneva on Tuesday :)

Ben, I agree with you. A halo car is a fantastic marketing tool for the rest of the line up, but it's an expensive marketing tool and if the current line up, has, well, a bit of a rep, then...

And, in a sense, Lotus already has a halo car in the GTE. Does anyone know what happened to that? 440 hp, stunning reviews, decent interior - a real 911 beater. Still, I'm sure there's a reason.

Of course, however much we all want a new Esprit, it could be argued that the Elise is in more urgent need of attention.

Oh, and I've just had my brake calipers painted [speed] yellow and DRLs fitted in the pointless not-holes on the front bumper, so maybe my car should be the new halo car. I think it should, cos my car is awesome.

Or, maybe when the film Host comes out, every teenage girl on the planet will buy a blinged up Evora (with cool lights in the pointless not-hole on the front bumper) and Lotus will be saved. Saved by marauding hoards of teenage girls!

Epic

Sudders

Edited by Bibs

Sudders and Dany

The best they can do for the current Elise and Exige is to upgrade the interior to late Tesla Roadster level: leather all around and new dashboard fascia! That would a be nice thing but that would not get the Elise and Exige back stateside, there's still the problem of the smart airbags & engine, the second issue could be an easy fix if lotus sticks to Toyota and manage to get their upcoming 2.0L turbocharged! They cannot lower the sills without re-engineering from the ground up! The logical step is to ditch the Elige chassis and switch the next gen to an Evora shortened version of VVA, that was the plan all along under MJK and I remember one of the marketing reps under Bahar team mentioned it to me personally in Paris!

Edited by NedaSay

I got to sit in the new Alfa.  I wasn't that impressed honestly.  They have obviously used the Elise as a benchmark as almost all the numbers are pretty much exactly the same as my SC and the price here in Switzerland is pretty much identical.  But it felt like it came from a company who mostly build small hatches.  There are some nice design touches but it didn't feel that special and the interior didn't feel solid.  It would have to drive pretty well to convince many folks to get one over a Cayman.

Crucially it's no worse than an Elise, but I didn't feel it was much better either (apart from getting in / out.)

A few from Geneva Motor Show 2013. Sadly no Lotus content.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjEkLnVc

• 4 weeks later...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.