free hit
counters
Engine Bay Fan? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Night_Train01

Engine Bay Fan?

I see a note on the engine shroud to unplug the engine bay fan before removing shroud. I am new to Lotus and this 84 Esprit Turbo is my first Lotus I have owned. I do not see a fan just a plug where I assume it plugs into to. can anyone send me a pic of the fan I am missing?

Edited by Night_Train01

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This will help explain what I am looking for. There is a plug located at the right side front of the engine compartment, I currently have nothing plugged into it

post-15196-0-51075100-1362318127.jpg 

Bill,

On my 85 the fan is built into the engine cover and there should be a cable and connector coming off the cover to plug into the white receptacle you have hilighted.

The previous owner of my car had removed all of the associated wiring to my fan, so I have had to re-wire completely with a relay etc and by-passed the white connector altogether.

I'm in Burlington if you want to see what I've done.

Dan

Thanks Dan for that info, does the fan run off a thermostat or does it run all the time? I assume its only purpose is to expell the hot air from the engine bay. I could wire in an auxilary fan to a 12v source from the motor. I am not sure why your previous owner and mine removed the fans altogether. Thanks Bill

FYI, I wired an aux fan for my '86 NA.

It sits in the exiting vent from the bay to the ear and boosts the flow when a thermal sensor is tripped. 

A maring blower /bilge fan is ideal as they come in 4" diameters and fit directly in the air trunking. I mounted mine on rubber feet on top of the fuel tank board and seems quite happy there.

Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHURflo-yellow-tail-4-In-Line-Blower-Boats-Marine-/400148362907?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item5d2ab3769b

The thermal trip unit was meant for radiator fans and the probe sits inside the bay. 

This is what I used from a UK site

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fan-controllers-thermostats/kenlowe-adjustable-electronic-thermostat-for-kenlowe-fans

It means that if I'm sat in traffic, air will still be moved through the bay.

Edited by slewthy

Bill,

My engine cover still had the bi-metallic t-stat installed so I simpl wired the relay thru this stat.

If your t-stat is missing you could simply add one.

Dan

My fan draws air up out of the engine bay and I understand that this is to cool the carb bowls when the car is stopped. My fan runs on for quite a while after the car is stopped but it does stop.

If the t-stat fails or is not adjusted/cleaned this can cause issues. Some have had problems with the fan running on and draining the battery and I suspect this is why they have removed the wiring.

After I re-wired I've never had the fan run on so long that it has drained the battery. Keeping the t-stat clean is important.