free hit
counters
Pioneer AVH3500 DAB - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The Alpine is gone !

This weekend I had this Pioneer fitted, primarily for the "App mode" which integrates really well with my iPhone, which I wanted for the Navigation features in the app called Waze.

Apart from a modern UI, this head unit has all the features of that replaced, as well as DAB.

file_zpse4345b97.jpg

file_zps7c134dd8.jpg

Parrot Bluetooth is way better too.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very nice! I believe the Pioneer unit fitted to Evora's now can run full screen iPhone apps too :)

The Evora no longer comes with the Pioneer unit. Lotus have gone back to fitting Alpine DDIN's, the Alpine INE-920R to be exact.

Why stay with the Alpine range? If they had so much trouble with the previous Alpines (only what I have read on here), wouldn't it make more sense to go to a dearer (if it is dearer?) bit of kit that works?

That looks really good, the Alpine unit is doing my head in, what a piece of crap!

It keeps locking my ipod up as well as the well know complaints.

Did you have it professionally fitted? If so do you mine letting us know how much (PM me if you want)?

Kip

Also be interested to know all the details. Did you upgrade any of the speakers? Also, what is the Brodit holder attached to?

Chaps, everything is relative I guess. Someone has just bid £200 for the Alpine on eBay!

The dealer who supplied the Pioneer fitted it. (Local company in Bracknell, Berkshire). About £100 on top of the retail price for the head unit, but that did include the correct iPhone cable and a DAB antenna. They also custom made the bracket for the Brodit included in that overall cost.

I didn't upgrade any of the speakers, but the sound is much punchier from the Pioneer. All I do need to do now is improve the reception (both FM and DAB), the windscreen stick on solution doesn't really cut it.

If you listen to the BBC you can use the iPlayer radio app on the iPhone and stream through the unit for the vast majority of the time when you have signal. I have found this very useful on long journeys when the radio reception can really dip in and out.

The Alpine is gone !

This weekend I had this Pioneer fitted, primarily for the "App mode" which integrates really well with my iPhone, which I wanted for the Navigation features in the app called Waze.

Apart from a modern UI, this head unit has all the features of that replaced, as well as DAB.

Parrot Bluetooth is way better too.

So the unit doesn't have sat Nav built in, do you use your iphone for that or can you add it afterwards? What about all the kit from the old Alpine, I gather there are modules behind the dash for bluetooth and Nav- did they strip it all out?

I like the look of the unit just concerned about keeping all the features (important for resale as well).

Cheers 

Correct, no inbuilt SatNav.  I have always struggled with the concept of paying a couple of hundred quid extra, for functionality you carry around in your pocket already.  (Pioneer do have an add on unit if you wish).  I use SatNav, maybe 10% of the time to actually find somewhere new.  I use the Waze app all the time to keep me updated with the fastest way to get to places I already know how to get to!

The installers did not strip out the other modules, so I am carrying around some redundant weight, but so be it, probably more trouble than it was worth to correctly identify and remove all the pieces.  The only quirk they had to overcome was a second wire to the handbrake interlock which tried to blank the screen all the time, but they found it, and fixed it.

Internet radio?  Just downloaded an App called Livio Radio, that is part of the Pioneer AppRadio suite, so it will pass across to the big screen and I can change channel with a touch button.  Will report back after using it.

Thanks for the update, interested to hear how you get with it.

Edited by Bibs
Removed quote of preceding post

Looks good.

Am I the only one that likes the OEM Alpine?

I had some issues with the bluetooth module pairing with my iphone, but Alpine swapped the 400 module for the 250 and no problems since.

I even prefer the Alpine sat nav to my Tom Tom (which seems to send me 'round the houses.')

I've not had any problems with my Alpine as yet although I don't think it's the easiest to use and don't like the fact that I can't have the nav screen on permanently with the music/radio playing, unless someone can tell me how?

Trevor.

Trevor, you should be able to have the nav display combined with music. I can't remember the exact sequence of presses on screen to do it, but basically, you choose the music player (radio/ipod/cd player) as your SOURCE, then choose NAV from the VISUAL menu.

In theory, it should then display the nav whilst mixing voice directions with your music. It even drops the music volume level whilst the navigation is speaking.

However, there's a problem with the connections on my car. I only get voice directions if I'm not playing music, unless I'm talking on the phone with bluetooth! I just love phoning my wife, and telling her "Shut up, I just want to hear my sat nav"!

Trevor,

You can definitely do as you asked as I do it quite a lot not that I use the guidance function but if horsing down country roads up this way sometimes good to know what is roughtly up ahead in the way of big bends.  However I'm offshore at the mo so can't check out the buttons but Brendan's post above is fairly close to the mark from memory.

One of the reasons to do it as well is get the nav on the screen then press the speed reading half way down the left hand side. It doesn't look like a button just a section of info. It then tuns into a analogue speedo showing measured speed :thumbsup: which is handy and actually proves the standard speedo is very accurate on summer tyres and about 1~2 mph out on winters.

Thanks fellas. I was out in it yesterday and of course you are right and it's a click of the Visual button and select nav and that's it :-) I'm a happy man now :-)

Trevor.

My new Evora was built in Feb. 2013; and has a Pinoeer.

I'm back in the factory "spare" Evora (again). It has the Alpine 920 fitted - it really is light years ahead of the previous 2 Alpines. My biggest gripe is that it is a touch slow, apart from that the bluetooth works, it has useful short cut buttons and you can see the nav map and what's playing at the same time.

Wonder if it can be swapped for an older model (like in the MY2011)...

The reason I haven't changed mine to a Pioneer is because it has all the extras like second amp, sub etc etc. If the new head unit is compatible, it could be a case of straight swapping...

That would be good for the phone pairing etc. but I guess it will do nothing for the god awful radio reception that means we just don't use the radio.  Still would possibly be interested if it even cured some of the issues with the Alpine although after 3 years of cursing them I am finding my way around them.

I just want a more up-to-date sat nav, and better resolution screen... Nothing worse than having to stick a "proper" sat nav to the windscreen whenever I'm going anywhere unfamiliar (speed traps).

I've been looking at the Alpine INE-W920R or the Pioneer AVIC-F940BT, phoned Alpine to ask if the new style unit would be a straight swap but they haven't returned my call. Bit concerned about having the dash apart as it's rattle free at the moment!

I have a new 2013 Evora S with the Alpine unit fitted. I would like to mount my HTC One with something like a Brodit mount similar to the picture above (with the Pioneer and iPhone). Does anyone one know which Brodit will fit, or is there an alternative, permanent mount system that can be recommended?

LO - what dealer fitted yours, do you have a contact name and details, as it would be interesting to know what customisation they had to make to fit the bracket for the phone.

Thanks

This is where I got mine done

http://www.niceice-installations.co.uk

It is a custom fabricated (bent and cut!) bracket which is attached to the side of the double head unit and allows any actual Brodit mount to be attached to it

I would think most installers would have the nous and wherewithal to conjur up what you want in terms of phone location etc.