free hit
counters
2-11's on Train or Ferry? - 2-Eleven Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Neal H

2-11's on Train or Ferry?

I'm planning to take my 2-11 across to the continent for the first time later this year (Le Mans track day) and am currently weighing up whether to go through the tunnel or take the Portsmouth to Caen ferry.

Anyone have any advise on either route? Do I need to to make any special arrangements when booking due to the low ground clearence? Am I being Paranoid :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Tunnel is fine, they'll put you on the lower deck and its entirely flat.

I did Pompey to Caen a few times in my Esprit which was low enough to brush to road under heavy braking and had no problems there either. :)

Going Amsterdam - Newcastle in May with the ferry and Evora, was told that I will be fine, the put me on the lower deck and have extra ramps they can add to lower the angle in case I have problems. Also checked that only me will drive the car!

Mine isn't quite as low as Bib's old Esprit but I was fine on the Euro Tunnel and on the Brittany ferries crossing to Caen. If you go via Caen and on the A28 to Le Mans watch out for the fixed speed cameras after the two long viaducts. It's a relatively quiet Autoroute and there is a temptation to let the speed creep up a bit when you've got miles of motorway to yourself!  

Thanks for the information. It seems either route should be okay, so I just need to decide whether I want to spend more time on the road or the ferry. The Portsmouth to Caen crossing is 6 hours, but it does knock 400 miles off the round trip.

Neal

Paranoid is better than crunching up the front onto the front wheels! That front is not a tough piece of kit

Ive not taken my 2-11 on the uk ferries / train but I've taken it on ferries here in Japan - Tokyo to hokkaido, Tokyo to Kyushu, Shikoku to Osaka ...... On each of these ferries I got parked in the truck 'trailer' section and board last and exited last .... All in reverse and at an angle

On a country ferry I made the mistake of driving straight on. Crunch. The front splitter pushed back on one side to almost the wheel. I then had a few hours, turning into a day with talking, at a local Miyazaki garage that handled lotus and that helped 'pull out' the front end .... They were most interested that a foreigner was driving around Japan in a lotus and a completely impractical one as they put it. Bearing in mind at that time of year the daily temperature reaches 34c. Also unloading the car with our tent, sleeping bags and various soft bags of clothes packed neatly in every gap and space in the car must have been interesting viewing.

Best thing is if you feel unhappy just take the extra 5 minutes and reverse up ramps etc. most of the time other drivers are happy to help or just want to nosey at the car. ......... My feeling was always 'sure you can get it repaired' BUT you can't at that exact time and you don't want to call your trip short for something where you could have spent 5-10 minutes to avoid

Enjoy the journey. Enjoy the car. ......... If I were closer I could offer a yellow made for 2-11 car cover I bought on here some time back

Good tips, thanks noe!

I think I've made up my mind to take the train through the tunnel, stopp overnight near Abbeville and onto Le Mans the following day. Anyone got any recommendations on 2-11 friendly hotels around Abbeville and Le Mans?

Regards,
Neal.