free hit
counters
Esprit Turbo and Delorean DMC-12 Pictures - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lex Templar

Esprit Turbo and Delorean DMC-12 Pictures

Just before my Lotus went off for its next little stint away I had a quick chance to get together with the Esprit's cousin, a Delorean DMC-12. This was a fully restored car, bought out of the USA. It was nice comparing a few similarities with the car and funnily enough there is a lot more headroom in the Lotus, due to the hinges from the gullwing doors. You also realize the Delorean is very much a tourer in comparison to the Lotus  

Pictures below.

delg.jpg
fr32f4r.jpg
dvfwevf34.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yea nice pics... not sure about that Blue S3 though... needs black bumpers and shinny wheels..

Nice car the Delorean but doesn't come close to the Esprit in any department: looks, handling or performance.

If it wasn't for "Back to the Future" it would have been long forgotten.

My Esprit S3 in silver often gets called the 'Back to the Future' car, mostly by students, one the other day said

'that's so back to the future man', I replied that it was a Lotus Esprit, to which he said  'yeah, but what happens at 88mph?' -

'Er, nothing...'

Nice car the Delorean but doesn't come close to the Esprit in any department: looks, handling or performance.

If it wasn't for "Back to the Future" it would have been long forgotten.

Hmmm didn't the same guy design both Esprit and DeLorean?...not to mention Lotus extensive involvement although granted some would rather forget that. Again the performance is not up to Esprit turbo territory but S1 maybe...mainly due to the fact John DeLorean wanted the PRV engine for various reasons and against Colin Chapman's recommendations. The PRV did not help handling either as it became a rear engined car. So the DMC ended more GT than sports. Both Lotus and Legend industry in the US had put forward turbo charging options with the Legend prototype cars hitting 60 in 5.8 seconds and were due for release in 1983 had the car stayed in production

As for being forgotten, of course there is a big BTTF following but as lot, myself included, did not get into them due to BTTF. There are several vendors in the US, at least 3 of which were around long before BTTF, and Europe with parts availability around 90% with both NOS and re manufactured parts. Check out www.delorean.com and see how many BTTF references you find!

Edited by internets

Great pictures of your S3 Bazza.Colour brilliant .Interior fab.Is the s3 tucked up next to the Essex.I dont think i would leave the garage lol.Mike

I must agree its a great article and a ringing endorsement for the S3 Na. What a fine example to use too. you just need to drive it more Barrie!

Always thought the Na is a hugley underated car that lives in the shadow of its quicker sibling... undeservedly so.

Thanks, I did get it out of the garage last weekend. What a fantastic drive even though it hadn't been driven in months .

Hopo I totally agree - so few pieces are written about what really great cars they are. They're often forgotten about in favour of the Turbo.

The S3 is a great car, i've just got bought one to keep my Evora company...an 86 S3 NA with 48K on the clock. My third esprit over the years but first Giugiaro one.

Due to come to me next week, pretty excited!  its just finished being prepped for me at PNM Engineering just had had it's 'C' service and some other bits done.

post-5020-0-49094300-1362756128.jpg

post-5020-0-39585900-1362756343.jpg

Looks a beaut!! Nice Color.

That looks lurvely! Get it down to Ace Cafe meet in a couple of weeks... out of interest when did NAs get the recess behind the rear hatch cover? im guessing this was to make it easier to open....

Sure i'll bring it down to the next Ace C lotus meet, be good to catch up after the winter hibernation!

Thanks for the kind words...my old Esprit SE was a very similar colour and was pacific blue, see if I can find some pics. The S3 is mediterranean blue.