free hit
counters
Gunson colour tune , gastester or both - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mdw

Gunson colour tune , gastester or both

I notice a lot of people on the forum have used the colour tune kit with a manometer to tune the carbs. The service manual mentions manometer and  co2 tester. Is one easier than the other to use ? Which gets the best results? This is for setting up from scratch on fully rebuilt carbs and a fully rebuilt engine.

Edited by mdw

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I been doing this. You need a manometer for sure. Clemo said about the service manual but I cant find anything relevant to me in there. Just stuff on Federal cars or post 87. What age is your car what section you looking in?

I been setting as per the Des Hamill book.

Buddsy

I been doing this. You need a manometer for sure. Clemo said about the service manual but I cant find anything relevant to me in there. 

Certainly the earlier manuals tell you how to set the carb mixture by closing the idle mixture screw then opening it a given number of turns & also how to balance them by eye.

I always preferred a Colour Tune to set the correct mixture on the assumption that if one cylinder was too rich & one too lean then a CO2 tester would still give an overall result of correct mixture.

I used an manometer to balance them, simple & effective. :thumbsup:

So do you use the colourtune to set the idle mixture?

Buddsy

These scans for carb setup are from the service manual for a stevens 88 n/a.

post-1261-0-39053800-1362580150.jpg

post-1261-0-57165600-1362580178.jpg

So do you use the colourtune to set the idle mixture?

Buddsy

Always did & always passed the MOT, no problem. I don't use it anymore as I no longer own a carburetor but I still have my Color Tune so if you would like it PM me your address.

Cheers & thanks for the offer but I have the colour tune at home. Had read how to do listening to engine etc never thought about using the colour tune! Will get it out and give it a go!

Thanks again.

Buddsy

Cheers & thanks for the offer but I have the colour tune at home. Had read how to do listening to engine etc never thought about using the colour tune! Will get it out and give it a go!

Thanks again.

Buddsy

No problem, it's a bit of a pig to fit & get out (I used to screw it to the extension to start it off) & you'll need a decent mirror to view it (wife's handbag is a good source) but it's perfect for mixture setting. I used to set the mixture correctly for the MOT & then, after it had passed, reset it to the rich side for smoother running & a little extra grunt.  :thumbsup: