free hit
counters
Clutch Alignment Tool (Gunter) - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jammy-pop

Clutch Alignment Tool (Gunter)

Hi Gunter,

Do,you have a picture of your home made clutch alignment tool please? I remember you said you made one out of a piece of wood and some nails?

Cheers,

Steve.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve,

I managed to source a gearbox input shaft (from GTO Engineering) & used this for alignment. I asked them for an old used shaft which they offered at very reasonable cost - when I went to pick it up they couldnt find it so gave me a brand new one.

Maybe less hassle than making one!

Cheers

julian

making one is easy enough, just use a broom stik re-shaped with a turning lathe and a nail or piece of metal/piece of hard plastic.  mark a line strait along onto the stick, where the plates would sit .. cut a groove in the stick and fith the piece that you want to use as guide half way into the stick and half way out of it ..so that it forms a guide for the splines of both plates.

the tip of the stick is in this picture just big enough to hold the tool tight into the pilot bearing there and support the tool in position.

394257_369596396419548_448919785_n.jpg

..the 'place a nail into it there' way is *Trademark by the forum* here, it was discussed in here several years ago ..and I just tried it out for my own with a stick and a piece placed alongside in the end, and it worked perfectly.

..the original thought (as you can find it in the forum-search.. think it was a post by someone here) was to put a line of several nails across in the stick and simply use a grinder to chop the heads off and reshape the remains slightly to form a guide for both plates)

Edited by Günter

I ended up taking your advice Julian and contacted GTO. They let me have an old shaft for 45 quid so quite happy with that.

I still like your way of thinking Gunter, but cheaper for me to buy a shaft than a lathe!

Thanks,

Steve.

if you not have a lathe, use a file and sandpaper ..to reshape the broomstick all around its usefull lenghth down to the nearly 20ish size of the Renault inner spline dimension.

Now put a flat piece of metall with the hight of nearly half of the diameter-difference between 'spline diameter' and 'pilot bearing diameter' on your workbench, add a thin layer of sanding paper on top of the metall ..and start to rub the piece of broomstick horizontally with the end of the broomstick on the metall.

As soon the broomstik gets in contact with the surface of your workbench you have created a small 'step' there onthe tip of the stick, turn now the broomstick a little to make the same step (diameter reduction) all around the tip of the broomstick.

Refine it with sandpaper that you can wind up around the top, and there you have created nearly concentric diameter reduction -without a lathe

(would call it *field mode* -or *russian* ..or McGyver artwork ;) )

Edited by Günter