free hit
counters
Compomotives - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

Compomotives

Wheels wheels wheels...

Ever since purchasing my car a while ago the wheels have always needed attention. In reality they need a proper refurb to get them up to scratch and get the car looking great. Wheels can often maketh a car so pretty important stuff really...

002_zpscae73f54.jpg

033_zps7145a707.jpg

Now the professionals charge a small fortune to get 3 peice split rims done, many wont even touch em... so i thought id have a go myself:

087_zpsa87152d7.jpg

After an age of trying to find the right Gold... its actually a pretty good match. (if a tad dull)

083_zpsa70037b2.jpg

So ive been doing this in a two stage process. been using the spare and spare from the NA whilst im doing the work. (slow i know!) and whilst tightening bolts and checking them over to put em back on the car to embark on the other side disaster struck... the rear was leaking a fair bit and a quick check over all the bolts resulted in a sheered bolt and subsequent leak....

looks like i will have to take them all out again, split them, sand again, get new nuts and bolts, repaint the centre, reseal with new silicone then reassemble....

or i just give them to someone else to sort.... very tempting as ive already had inumerable blisters, broken nails and even a suspected broken finger on the two ive done!

Edited by hopo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

How much have you been quoted per wheel

They look great.

What colour gold is it and where can i get some?

Could you replace just the one bolt - would that not fix the leak? 

Cheers Paul... they have taken an eternity to get to this stage! the fronts are a little shabby but still infinately better than their previous condition.

Barry after ages of pondering and searching through pictures of wheels and various paints i went for the good old fashioned Hammerite gold. its easy to apply, bonds to anything and pretty hardwaring (i hope) i was going to laquer the centres but im told that the paint would not react well. the lips have just been polished.... lots and lots of polishing!

The rear in question did have a slow leak anyhow which i think has now been execerbated so i will split then re-seal it probably with new bolts ,although i desperately want to keep the old ones.

Peter, many places wont touch split rims but quotes range from 400-600 plus VAT... hence doing them myself!

Edited by hopo