free hit
counters
Front mounted tank s3 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cbclotus

Front mounted tank s3

Hi has any one thought or done this.As i dont know the condition of my tanks.Just a thought.The black raceing s1 has a front mounted tank.Thanks Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I dont know anything but I did read the Muira had front tanks and that was a stupid idea as the the weight over the front wheels changed considerably from full to empty it changed the whole handling of the car depending how much fuel you had!

Buddsy

If you have an early chasis pre '85 would also add extra weight to the trunnions.  A problem discovered by Triumph GT6 owners which was very front heavy in comparison

Car wouldn't be approved for road use with the tank mounted in the front as it was never designed that way, surely?

I've always removed the spare wheel from my non-PAS Esprits to make steering easier at low speeds. 50kgs+ of fuel would certainly be a detriment. 

What's wrong with your tanks where they are Mike or are you just looking at possible options? The tried and tested route if yours are rotted out is to replace them with Ali ones from SWLC or Esprit Engineering.

Not sure that would be a problem here? I mean you can put in an engine that wasnt designed for it etc.

Buddsy

But the engine is still being put in the same place as before. Moving the tank would surely constitute a change in design for which no crash testing or engineering would have been done?

You can do what you like to a car in the UK as long as it passes and MOT annually (fuel tank placement isn't a part of the test) and complies with the Construction & Use regs. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/contents/made

Petrol tanks

39.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), every tank containing petroleum spirit (as defined in section 23 of the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 which is fitted to a wheeled vehicle first used on or after 1st July 1973, and is used either for the propulsion of the vehicle or for driving an ancillary engine or equipment forming part of the vehicle shall be—

(a)made only of metal;

(b)fixed in such a position and so maintained as to be reasonably secure from damage; and

©constructed and maintained so that the leakage of any liquid or vapour from the tank is adequately prevented, so, however, that the tank may be fitted with a device which, by the intake of air or the emission of vapour, relieves changes of pressure in the tank.

(2) Instead of complying with the requirements of paragraph (1) as to construction, a vehicle may comply with the requirements of Community Directive 70/221 (insofar as they relate to fuel tanks) or ECE Regulation 34 or 34.01 or, if the vehicle is an agricultural motor vehicle, of Community Directive 74/151.  

Thanks for the replys.Not sure what condition my tanks are in.Car has been off the road for twelve years.I am in the proseess of trying to recomision the engine.Just a thought about front mounted tanks.One question can the tanks be repaired .IE.Welded repairs if needed.....Thanks all.The Black raceing s1 thats for sale has a front mounted tank.Mike

Wouldn't like to be in an accident with one up front. After all, the front end is effectivley your crumple zone.

I know this.