free hit
counters
mystery ground - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Found this ground wire connected to the rear hatch strut but other end is free. Any ideas where it goes?

post-321-0-16083200-1363006494.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

OK, I'm pretty sure that's for the heated rear window, I scrapped mine, didn't need it and wanted the dash switch for something else, so.

First, is it ground or is it power, I suspect it's power, using a multimeter switch on dash switch + ignition and look for the female connector with 12 v, then turn it off and make sure the multimeter indicates no power, then you know you have the right 1. If memory serves me right one strut carries ground the other power, but by the look of the terminal I think your looking at the power side, but if the other side has got 12v then obviously it'd ground.

Both struts carry power, the left is for the heated screen, the right for the third brake light. Ground is via a wire to the hinge bracket.

thanks for your replies. I will have a closer look.

Its definitely connected to the strut but I cant find the female connector its married to. Any images available on what it looks like?

cheers

Being a black wire it would assumedly be ground....well...usually. 

What is the cable colour under the sleve. I have one in exactly the same place  which is green with a purple stripe but mine comes directly out of the loom. I don't have the 3rd brake light as mine is a UK  88.  The service manual shows green/ purple to r/h strut is 3rd brake light.

its green with a purple stripe. Now looking to finds its connection. ive been driving lately without brake lights!!

Its indeed the third brake light power connection. However under much searching I cannot locate the female connector. This would probably be the reason I have no brake light either?

The cable on mine came directly out of the large loom bundle that runs down the outer side of the fuel tank clipped to the ply top board.

I may have found the connector. there are two female together and the wiring is the same on both (green and purple) im assuming they are identical. I don't get any power from them however.

Looks like the feed to the rear brakes goes through that cable  so if you have no brake lights  at all then I guess the problem will be at the front end of the rear harness connector. (RHC)

post-1261-0-09417600-1366485989.jpg

Edited by mdw

Thank you. I have the same diagram. I will try to trace the wire that feeds the rear connector.

I have a feeling the connector block you are looking for is right  up under the dash on the right hand side just under the speaker.  1 or 2 are under the dash but 1 or 2 are behind the bottom of the A pillar trim. I have circled one of the  blocks above the metal beam that sits under the dash and the instrument pod bolts to. (A) is the speaker hole. Sorry not great photo.

post-1261-0-53626900-1366493617.jpg

Edited by mdw

Thanks. ill check that connector out. haven't touched it before so why would it fail?? Very odd.

need a break. been at it most of the day. Thanks MDW!

I have gone through most of the multi connectors and cleaned them and given them a spray of WD40 as a lot were looking pretty grotty.

Before you strip the a post trim just make sure its not the switch on the pedal that's broken.

Got to the connector and no power. There is power at the brake switch though. hummm??

Its possible I may have disconnected something last week. Here is a photo of the double female connector(green purple) I believe my third light wire connects to one side but the other I'm not certain. I do know I still have not brake lights. Anyone with a Federal SE have a pic of their connections? Thank you.

post-321-0-20663100-1366572610.jpg

It appears to be the switch after all. It was working intermittingly. The connections at the pillar are not related to the brake light. I believe the wiring runs from the switch right to the rear connector. The stray female connector is the third light. Thanks all for your input and now to find a suitable switch.

Thanks to all especially Malcom for your photo and schematic.

cheers and happy Lotusing.