free hit
counters
Exhaust smell, No CAT - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have a Tubi exhaust installed with no cat. The exhaust smell is pretty strong. I know having no cat will contribute to that but is there anything else that could be causing this condition? Does this mean it is running to rich?

On a possibly related note, I just found a vacuum hose loose (the one that connects to my BOV). I know that could be causing some issues and am thinking of resetting my ECM to let it relearn with the vacuum hose now connected. Any possibility that loose hose was contributing to the problem?

Otherwise, if I just have to put a cat back on, I would want a hi-flow cat and possibly just remove the muffler. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The smell is almost certainly due to the missing cat. A cat-only install would probably work quite well.

I always ran my '95 S4s without a cat & never suffered from any exhaust entering the cabin even with roof off & windows open, so I'd suggest looking elsewhere for the problem.

Its rare that it comes in the cabin (sometimes sitting still with the windows, roof open) but it is most notable when it is in the driveway warming up or after I have backed into the garage. I may try to find a muffler shop around here that can make a new exhaust with just a hi-flow cat.

When you say the exhaust smell is strong what does it smell of ? Is there any  blue, black or white smoke ?

Is the exhaust sooty ?

I run my S4s with a cat bypass & sports back box with no problems. Mine was running rich at one point & this did smell but this was to do with an after market lambda sensor I fitted, once this was replaced all was ok again.

Before you go to a lot of expense I would suggest getting the emmissions checked to make sure it's running properly as it could be down to a number of things.

Phil.

Nope, no smoke. I think it is because of a rich condition at idle. Seems to have gone way down since I found and fixed the vacuum hose that was loose. Both people who remarked about the smell said it was gone the last time they took a ride. You can still smell a bit when backing into the garage with the windows down. Maybe there is something else contributing to a rich idle condition?