free hit
counters
Windscreen refitting advice needed - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philleech

Windscreen refitting advice needed

Im almost at the point in my resto where the screen goes back in. I have the screen and also a fitting kit from SJs and now realised I have to get the rubber blocks that raise the glass up. Is there anything else I need and has anyone else done one of these? My workshop manual isnt much help as the old method of refitting no longer applies and I dont appear to have any updates. Lastly do the screen trims go in at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Screen trims must be fitted after the windscreen and after checking for water leaks once the bond glue has dried.

Giorgio

Having had mine recently replaced I would advise you to have a glass guy install it. Find someone who specializes in classic cars or the like. After seeing what they had to do I am glad I didn't try it myself. 

One of the most important steps is applying the primer to the glass. My paint guy used some really good fine line tape so the glass guy could apply a clean line of primer around the windshield. 

Best,

Jeff

Last question.... do the screen trims glue in? I think Ive read somewhere that the clips that used to hold them in have been superseded as they leaked.

Theres a glass fitter in Lancashire that does classics so I think hes going to get a call...

Thanks gang

I was going to put a blob of silicon rubber under each of the trim clips before pop riveting them in. The trim just pushes into the gap between the clip and the bodywork I believe. I was going to do mine myself but it's not a job I am looking forward to - but then again at the rate I'm going it could be quite a while hahaha

Paul.