free hit
counters
cross reference for fuel pump? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
www.jasonmiller.com

cross reference for fuel pump?

I need to replace the fuel pump on my 78 s2.

Can anyone recomend an aftermarket pump I can buy at a local auto parts store?

The two pumps I can locate here locally that are stock are used.

thanks

Jason Miller

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Jason,

Any generic fuel pump from NAPA will do. Either the "rotary" style or the little boxes that make the tapping noise (diaphragm type). I think it needs to be able to do around 4-5 psi (and you will probably have to cut it back to 3.5-4 psi with a regulator); I don't remember the volume, but anything that can fuel, say, a 6-cylinder Jeep CJ will do the trick. Nothing expensive or "high performance" necessary. Make sure you get something to insulate/isolate (whatever) it from the frame, or the noise it makes will be very loud!

Sorry, not the best answer! Just walk in and talk to a clerk who looks like he might do his job well!

- T

(p.s. -- I've done this twice on other people's cars as "roadside repairs", one of each type of pump, and both cars still have those pumps today as far as I know ---- sorry, have no details about specific pump used :))

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Thanks Tony,

I will give it a try tomorrow.. funny thing, we just chatted on Ferrari chat earlier today...

Jason,

Any generic fuel pump from NAPA will do. Either the "rotary" style or the little boxes that make the tapping noise (diaphragm type). I think it needs to be able to do around 4-5 psi (and you will probably have to cut it back to 3.5-4 psi with a regulator); I don't remember the volume, but anything that can fuel, say, a 6-cylinder Jeep CJ will do the trick. Nothing expensive or "high performance" necessary. Make sure you get something to insulate/isolate (whatever) it from the frame, or the noise it makes will be very loud!

Sorry, not the best answer! Just walk in and talk to a clerk who looks like he might do his job well!

- T

(p.s. -- I've done this twice on other people's cars as "roadside repairs", one of each type of pump, and both cars still have those pumps today as far as I know ---- sorry, have no details about specific pump used :))

I haven't checked back there yet . . . I just saw you had an S2, and hadn't seen you on here yet! :)

By the way, if you want the part number for the original SU pump, I probably still have the box from mine somewhere -- I just moved, though, but I'd be happy to look for it if you care about originality . . .

Edited by Tony K

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I haven't checked back there yet . . . I just saw you had an S2, and hadn't seen you on here yet! :)

By the way, if you want the part number for the original SU pump, I probably still have the box from mine somewhere -- I just moved, though, but I'd be happy to look for it if you care about originality . . .

I appreciate your help however, I am wanting to take the car to "Exotic car night" sat night in Dallas and figured I could buy something at a local auto store and get on the road sooner.

Anyway thanks again,

I went to your website, your cars are breathtaking!!

Guest Troy Halliday

Tony if you have the original SU part number could you post it in the pinned section in at the top of th eG-car section "Parts Sources/List2 thanks.

I replaced my SU unit for a Facet race pump and guel preasure regulator/filter as I have a had very bad luck with SU pumps in the past.

VW Mark 1 Golf Fuel Pump as a quick replacement? Know someone who did this swop, and seems fine

Worth a try anyway...

The only part I could come up with was a primary fuel pump for 85-96 which is a Bosch 0580-254-967 GFP 208 (Fit 911 Turbo). I will keep looking for a 78 part reference for you.

Troy,

I will look for it and post it as soon as I find it . . . .

- T

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

VW Mark 1 Golf Fuel Pump as a quick replacement? Know someone who did this swop, and seems fine

Worth a try anyway...

Hey Mark... I used to live in Johannesburg back in 1997-98! I lived in Northcliff... I have missed it every since and cant wait to come back.. We tried to move to South Africa but were the wrong color :-)

Jason Miller