free hit
counters
[Autocar] Group Lotus being liquidated - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

[Autocar] Group Lotus being liquidated

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair to Autocar, it looks they were reporting the facts.  They had seen or been told about Lotus being on the winding-up list on the High Court's schedule for today and reported it.  They have replaced the article as more information has become available so there is no trace of the original one on their web site.  It's another example of Lotus going back to its roots when a solicitor's letter was regarded as a first, serious request for payment.

I'm also not going to tell DRB how to do their job.  We've all had enough of Lotus saying what they are going to do and not doing it so we yearned for the company to under promise and over-deliver and we got that.  So stop complaining about it.

Mind you, I would like to know what, if anything, is going on in Hethel.

I would also like to know how Chuckle-Giggles Lt.s got on with their winding-up order.  Nothing to laugh at, you know!

Edited by USAndretti42

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Mind you, I would like to know what, if anything, is going on in Hethel.

For what it's worth, I ran in to Aslam at the Hethel canteen last December and we chatted for a bit. Unless I misheard him, he said he'd devoted 40% more manpower to quality control, but we didn't get much in to specifics. Seemed quite a nice guy to me and that he was working his butt off to untangle the mess left by Dany Blowhard.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Unfortunately, it really isn't news when a company is getting on OK and making ends meet. Just hoping that DRB don't choose to whack Group Lotus in the head when they utter "I'm getting better!... I think I'll come out with a new Esprit!"

Autocar were very supportive of MJK and even more so of DB. It is a shame they can't get behind DRB, but like you guys say they are not helping themselves and are keeping any and all plans very close to their chest.

If there is anyone left in Marketing and PR they seriously need to copy this thread and pass it on to the board and say "Look! We need to be more open! Love them or hate them, both MJK and DB were constantly talking to the press to keep enthusiasts and the magazines updated." Both understood that if you aren't open and head off things like this report then you might as well close your doors! You can't sell something people don't know about!!

On that note does anyone know of any plans to ensure the Exige S is on TG in Autumn? They film it in the summer so they only have a small window of opportunity!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

They film it 4 days before the show goes out. You were there, you remember?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Quote from TopGear article:

"Topgear.com loves Lotus, and wants the company to succeed. We care about its future, and the people who work there"

How can they state that after Clarkson stated that Lotus stands for Lot's of trouble etc, etc???

TOSSERS  :thumbdown:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Bibs. They film the "Features" in the summer, non? I noticed that many of the car features in this last series were filmed when the tree's were green and sun shining!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The car reviews are filmed that week, if not earlier that day. 

Big, going abroad, doing stuff features are done at another time but the Exige just needs to get on the track and get the fastest time. 

Anyway, Joe Saward offers an opinion...

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/a-big-wind-up/

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Joe Saward what a piece of **** with all respect ofcourse. "Undeserved" still jealous I think

I'm sorry to say this, but he's got a fair point! No debt, no case, no stupid article!

He's commenting cause he's a commenter but the ones at fault here are Autocar for probably the worst bit of automotive journalism in a decade, Lotus could sue them for that one if they have any money that! And Lotus for being again unable to terminate a contract properly and having the worst people in charge again or at least people who do not seem to know what to do with the company.

Suppliers rarely sue for no reason. Contracted racing teams rarely sue for no reason. Nicolas Todt is the boss of Art GP formely known as Lotus Art in GP2 and GP3 I don't really see him suing Group Lotus on a whim.    

Edited by NedaSay

Joe Saward has replaced Alan Henry as Autocar's F1 commentator. His review of the Melbourne GP in this weeks magazine is fair, congratulating Kimi and Lotus and applauding the team strategy whilst urging caution in reading too much into the win as a pointer for the rest of the season. A balanced piece IMHO.

As far as I could tell the 'Lotus is being liquidated' story didn't make into the print version. Probably a sensible editorial decision considering the flack they got online......

Edited by hedgerley

the ones at fault here are Autocar for probably the worst bit of automotive journalism in a decade, Lotus could sue them for that one if they have any money that! ;

Manufacturer suing automotive press would be a pretty stupid thing to do; Lotus need autocar more than Autocar need Lotus

It is worth commenting critically on our deteriorating and crumbling Court process in all this-if the parties reached agreement "some weeks" before the hearing, the normal route would be a Consent Order between creditor/ debtor and a request for the hearing to be vacated; therefore no need for any hearing to be publicised. 

The Courts Service may well have been able in theory and in time,  to delete public reference to the hearing but was way too slow to do so, inadvertantly attracting this damaging publicity. (Her Majesty`s Courts Service is currently being cut to ribbons by the way).

Incidentally it was a similar debt action that did for Andre Citroen`s company in 1934......     

Evora NA

That was a vey good article...unfortunately!

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

The whole affair, along with the delays in getting product out, is really tarnishing Lotus' reputation and credibility. I have to agree with all the people who have asked why the dispute was allowed to reach this stage in the first place!

I'm more annoyed that DRB haven't made any statement to allay fears/reassure potential customers. Even a simple, 'Everything's fine - it was a misunderstanding; we are investing in Lotus's future ect.' would be better than complete silence! Even better, turn this into a positive by announcing some plans so that potential customers know that there IS a future. There must be increasing numbers of people out there who won't consider a Lotus because they believe the company is on the brink of financial collapse!

It might be nice if DRB made a statement to allay the fears of their existing customers, let alone potential Lotus owners.

God forbid if you actually had to deal with them directly, thank f**k for B&C, they're flying the flag and keeping the brand alive for me at least. 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

It might also be nice if Lotus was at this year's New York International Auto Show. Disappointing. 

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Would love to see Lotus revealing even a little of their plan, like Caterham has on Skiddmark: http://skiddmark.com/2013/03/caterham-cars-exclusive-a-look-into-the-future/

Plan seems credible, especially with the Renault JV. Would people accept a Lotus sportscar developed via a JV and would they also accept Lotus if they had a couple of 'core' sports cars and then SUVs and mini cars aimed at developing markets?

I would have been horrified at the thought not so long ago, but now I could imagine a new Elise, a production version of the Ethos city car concept and some form of small sporty Evoque rival strangely appealing. Its also interesting to see the projected price is just below £50,000 and therefore similar to the pricing of the Alfa 4C. Could the next Elise sell for similar money and a new Exige for Evora money.