free hit
counters
205/60/14 V rated tyres - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
giorgio67

205/60/14 V rated tyres

HI guys,

quick question as I'm being mad searching...

does anyone have some infos about 205/60/14 V RATED tyres availability?

any brand, type, price, I know that the 205/70/14 are available and are not cheap...

Thanks

Giorgio

(I wouldn't  need the tyres for a long time but...)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Giorgio,

No chance. I've been looking for years but have had to settle with H-rated which is a high enough speed rating for the S2 anyway.

Pete

Hi Pete,

not possible to use any other tyre as the ones reported on the V5, very stupid and restrictive law here in Italy for omologation.

I will check carefully the market for a couple of good used ones.

Giorgio

Do they really check that carefully Giorgio? Is this your equivalent of the yearly MOT test, or a one-off more detailed inspection to register in Italy?

Hi Mark,

sadly is a very difficoult and precise procedure to register the car not the equivalent of a MOT test.

But,  I have a very good news for all the  Italian entushiast of classic car, it has been just approved a new law that permits to use a different tyre on a car without the "nullaosta" of the factory and with a easy and fast procedure, it has been approved just a week ago!!!! :cheers:

now I need to check with options I have for others tyres sizes without changing too much (2%) the RR of the wheels.

Any tips?

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio

If you (or anyone else) gets desperate I have quite a few 205/60-VR14 tyres lying about, with legal tread and no splits. They are yours for the price of taking off the rims and shipping.

However as you would imagine some are very, very old, and whilst cosmetically OK I wouldn't want to use them for very long on the road, perhaps just to get through a one-off inspection, or for that "period" look at car shows....

Re: new tyres; Last time I looked there were a few tyre calculators online which give you changes to rolling radius when changing sizes. I assume this is just to get a better quality tyre or to match the rears, as low-end 205/60-HR14s are readily available

Tires originally fitted were 205/60 14 on the front and 205/70 14 on the rear. Made by Dunlop, they were V rated for speeds up to 150 mph. As the Esprit was lucky to reach 130 mph downhill with a tailwind, H rated tires are more appropriate. It's ideal to fit a matched set from the same manufacturer but finding them is difficult. Federal Tires makes a H rated 205/60 14 for the front and a 215/65 14 for the rear in their SS657 series. The rears are only 0.30" less in diameter so wont upset the balance or speedo calibration. I've just fitted a set to my original Gold Speedline wheels on my S2 JPS.

Roo

www.jpsesprit.com

Federal #010

Edited by v8vantage

Mark, many thanks for your offer, I will see, in case I will contact you  about that.

Sadly, even if now is possible to change the tyres size is not possible to change the speed rate, so I need to munt V rated tyres in the appropriate or different measure.

Giorgio

There is the faintest glimmer of light for anyone wanting 205/60VR14 tyres....a company called Blockley has started manufacturing 205/70VR14s in period correct tread patterns. They are not expensive, not compared toMichelin or Vredestein Classic (who have repeatedly ignored my emails to them) and I enquired if Blockley would consider opening a line on the lower profiles. It would be particularly neat solution for Esprit owners to have matching tyres front & rear!

Unfortunately they said they needed about 500 off to justify the tooling, and I'm only in the market for 8!

I know German enthusiasts are stuck for their TUV, but it would be helpful ammunition to fire at Blockley if we knew;

• how many other countries demand original specification tyres
  • how many other cars use 205/60VR14s;
  1. Lotus Elite
  2. Lotus Eclat
  3. Lotus Excel (pre 1985)
  4. Lotus Esprit S1 front
  5. Lotus Esprit S2 front
  6. Toyota Celica Supra?
  7. ???

Great work Mark. Put my name down!

The Blockley tyres are welll respected in the Vintage Car community so hopefully they'll to the trick on our cars.

Pete

• Lotus Elite
  • Lotus Eclat
  • Lotus Excel (pre 1985)
  • Lotus Esprit S1 front
  • Lotus Esprit S2 front
  • Toyota Celica Supra?
  • Ferrari 308GT4
  •  

I'm more interested in the 70s at the moment as there's enough to keep us going on the 60 fronts . Since the fuldas have become unavailable I was worried that the Michelin or vreidestein would be the only option. A matching set would be nice but I can wait.

Only matched set I found in the US are H rated but work very well. I shaved them down a few mm to get them perfectly round so they don't vibrate. Additionally I run the pressures higher than the old Dunlop Sport but they work a treat. Great grip and feedback with a comfortable ride. The tyres are made by Federal, SS657, in 205/60 14H front and 215/65 14H rear.

I spoke to a very helpful chap at Falken and he said that the problem was likely to be the lightness of the cars as these tyres were designed for saloons.

Pete