free hit
counters
Front top wishbone removal help - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Front top wishbone removal help

Hi all

Am now about to strip front suspension on an S3 Turbo 1984.  So early suspension set up.  Picture snip is highlighting bolt head.  For removal of this bolt does it have to be withdrawn into the footwell?

Red circle indicates bolt head.

Green circle is at the font of the car and appears to be a nyloc used as a lock nut

Purple circle on drawing shows the bolt inserted from the front of the car

Can anyone assist

Thanks

Phil

post-13610-0-24871800-1363635092.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If its the same as my post 85 (looks the same there) and if I can remember I think the red end is just a nut and the spindle is just a shaft threaded each end. Crack the lock nuts against each other and get a spanner on the red nut and unwind the shaft. You might have to use mole grips on the shaft depends if its rusty. That's what I think I done on mine.

Buddsy

On my 89SE, there is a rubber plug there, one that supposedly is easy to remove for this very reason...  Not sure about the older cars.

Here's mine (though on my car it is a dual threaded stud with two nuts per side, locking against each other).

I don't think there is room to draw the stud forward on my car!

IMG_3335.JPG

On my '86, threaded on each end; single nyloc at footwell end, lock nuts at 'tother.

Plastic cap in footwell to allow the single nut to be torqued up against the locked nuts when reassembling.

It depend what you want to achieve. You can easily move the 1/2 inch bar forward enough to get the rear top arm off and so replace bushes and nuts. If you want to remove the bar I suspect it will have to go out via the footwell.

I dont think you have to! I took mine out and didnt go through the car. Its just a bar threaded each end Im sure.

Buddsy

I could't recall if there was enough clearance forwards of it, with rad etc in place.

Thanks all of you.  Seems like mine is correct.  Will start on this probably at the weekend.

Phil

Wifes just seen me write that...........She said "I might be able to start on it at the weekend"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!