free hit
counters
Valve Ticking - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone dealt with LOUD valves/lifters before? I have developed some loud upper end noise on startup and goes away once the engine reaches operating temp(82C) or so. Noticeably related to engine speed. When I rev, it speeds up, but once the engine is warm it sounds pretty normal. Any one done a valve adjustment on their own? If so can it be done without new shims or are the valves adjusted with the shim thickness?

Art

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone dealt with LOUD valves/lifters before? I have developed some loud upper end noise on startup and goes away once the engine reaches operating temp(82C) or so. Noticeably related to engine speed. When I rev, it speeds up, but once the engine is warm it sounds pretty normal. Any one done a valve adjustment on their own? If so can it be done without new shims or are the valves adjusted with the shim thickness?

Art

No lifters!

The Esprit cam towers hold the bucket tappets and clearances are set bt shims. The cam towers must be removed to access the shims. The clearances can be checked by removing the cam covers and using bent feelers.

Check clearances, then look for something else causing the noise.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

No lifters!

The Esprit cam towers hold the bucket tappets and clearances are set bt shims. The cam towers must be removed to access the shims. The clearances can be checked by removing the cam covers and using bent feelers.

Check clearances, then look for something else causing the noise.

Is it pretty common for the valves to come out of adjustment/spec? I also thought perhaps it was piston slap at startup but on Freescan I pick up only 1 or 2 knock, I thought however, this wasn't likely as I don't pick up any more knock on warmup.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Okay, I think I identified the culprit. I did all the standard tests for piston slap and valve noise but ended up nowhere. I then happened to check my oil pump pulley and low and behold it was REALLY loose. I haven't taken it apart yet but my presumption is that the circlip jumped out of the stupid groove and caused the pulley to slide back. I had this problem when I replaced my oil pump seal earlier this year. I tried to reinstall the circlip 8 or 9 times and it kept pushing it out of the groove. Finally got it but quess all my hard driving created this! I'll keep you posted.

Art

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm