free hit
counters
ABS light will not go out - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
wardy

ABS light will not go out

Hi Gents

My car is 2002 V8

My car has been off the road for the winter, stored in its nice garage. Its spring almost and that means mot and road tax time.

Throughout the winter I have started the car and on dry days had a very short drive. Always everything was ok. 

Today when I went out to give the car a run when I switched on the ignition the ABS warning light did not go out.

The only job I did which may be connected was to remove all the relays and fuses to check that the connection pins were clean and free from corrosion. All were ok. 

Can you answer the following.

1. What is happening under normal conditions that turns off the ABS lamp after a few seconds of ignition switch on.

2. I have not driven the car yet. Is there a " self teach " in the system when the car is moving.

Thanks 

Chris Ward

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

right few things to mention light can come on if the wheels are turned individually ie jack or rollers the abs will think the cars skiding . if this isnt it check the sensors they are just magnets that register voltage change when the edge of the castle ring on the hub passes it clean the area make sure theres no debre in the way . finally check the sensor wire the plug on the back of the sensor can pic up grime and road dirt stopping the connection try that

Edited by Alex Carter

just as Alex said, it reacts on igniton in *on*-position as soon as you turn one wheel to fast, especially if you lift up the rear and let the engine run with higher idle, as the rear wheels can start to spin with cold gearbox even without a gear allready selected.

(have you done aything in this way inbetween there in winter ?)

...other point, as soon as the car runs with notale real speed (above lets say 10km/h) the light should go out byitself if there is nothing more stored (registered) as actual fault again, only the activation of this former fault signal/code should be stored in the memory for a time (no light here) -so you can still read with Tech1-scanner & cardridge

Hi Alex and Gunter

Thank you for your replies. Here is my update.

Checked all sensors, cables, connections and castle rings -- all look ok.

Took the car for 6 mile drive ( forgot how nice it feels in a V8 ) -- unfortunately
 abs light still on.

Have spoken to a friend who owns Phoenix motorsports -- he has a Tech 1 reader gizmo.

In the next two weeks I will take the car along there and find out what alarm code is logged. Hopefully I will be able just to cancel it.

I will post an update then. Thanks for your help.

Chris Ward

Well if all the initial signs look good possible faulty sensor or maybe the abs unit itself fault codes may tell whats up

I have noticed that if the car is not used for a while my ABS light comes on (flashes) then clears itself.

Check your brake light switch,probably sticky from lack of use.Could be an easy fix ,mine was.Cheers.

for those two 4 pot owners there we should point out that the layout of the V8 'is a bit different' 

..so the ABS system is insome ways 'copied' from Opel units, but not the odd Pontiac/GM powermaster 'highpressure' brake system !

..additionally, the red *brake warning* (depends on market if it says 'brake' or just *P*) it is not to confuse with the ABS warning, so we should ask is it the ABS light that is on ?

Hi Gunter

Just to confirm it is the ABS light that is that stays on.

As I said in the next week or two I will use a tech 1 -- hope this will clear the problem

Will keep you informed

Chris

Hi Guys

An update on my ABS alarm.

Plugged in the Tech 1. Indicated open or short on R/R wheel sensor.

Disconnected this and tested using multimeter looking for pulse. 

Nothing

New sensor fitted -- alarm reset with Tech 1 -- all seems ok

Thanks

Chris

if so -add the sensor data (OEM-part code, not the Lotus number) to the parts-crossreference  ..think it is not there so far ?