free hit
counters
Esprit S2.2 Restoration body off chassis? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rabidant

Esprit S2.2 Restoration body off chassis?

Tried this question on Pistonheads but thought I would get a more knowledgable reply here.
It is about time I started work on my Esprit S2.2 I took it off the road in 1992 for a few jobs and never finished it!!!
I have overhauled the engine and gearbox a few years ago, now moving onto body/chassis. The car
has @ 30000 miles on the clock the chassis is in excellent condition just a few areas that need re-painting.
What are the general thoughts on removing the body from the chassis?
Initially I was going to do this but have been advised against it unless neccessary by a couple of people who have done the job before,I can probably get away with leaving the body on and touching up the chassis paint where required. Is it neccessary to remove the body for a full restoration bearing in mind the increasing values of the cars?
I will get some pictures and document the rebuild on this forum.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Mark,

same car as mine.

It depends of the jobs you are thinking to do on the car.

Body-off restoration is a big and long task...but if your car has 30000 on the clock I think you don't need to do this.

The chassis on the S2.2 was factory galvanized.

Giorgio

Its a big job.

Not just body to chassis bolts but coolant and heater tubes, gearchange, brake lines, steering links, etc etc.

Its the only way to do a full restoration though. It depends on your goals I guess.

Body off will uncover lots of things you will be glad to have found but double or even triple your estimated outlay on time and money.

Do you have the means to lift the body off? The back is relatively light but the front is bloody heavy!

I wouldn't attempt mine again without a 2 post lift...

Simon

Thanks for the feedback Giorgio will keep an eye on your build.

Simon I am based in Shrewsbury just down the road!!  The engine, gearbox, engine bay trim and fuel tanks are out at the moment which means quite a few items are already disconnected. I have a large workshop with beam trolley lift,  engine crane various wheeled trolleys etc. I think I will give it a thorough inspection and perhaps post up some pics and then decide, I will probably remove the sills regardless to check seat belt mountings.

cheers Mark

Uhmmm, regarding the  seat belts mounts ask to Paul Coleman here, it's an horrible job to do but, as your car has a galvanized chassis it could be possible that Lotus use zinc plated parts for the task, very different from the S1-S2 car without zinc plated chassis so I think you need to check if the job is worth it.

Giorgio

Some pics of your car please.... ;)

Edited by ghe67

Well Mark, you are not far off then (from me and from having things disconnected!)

The brake lines up front would need renewing with body off but thats one of the nicest jobs I think.

Again, depends on your goals. 

To lift the body, it needs lifts on safe areas and that really just means the sill jacking points. I think people have done it by gradually jacking at each corner but it has to go up a fair way to clear the gear stick and the front suspension towers.

I guess 2 scissor lifts , one on each side could do it fairly safely...?...But I have never used one of those so I dont know. 

ought to meet up since I am in Shrewsbury most weeks.

I did an S2 chassis change in a single lock-up garage.   Muscle power to lift the body (6 people) then supported it by the wheel arches on acrow props....   

Hi Mark, well i think its been said it is a big Job, but depending on what your planning to do, it might be worth it. If its just a tidy up then i proberly wouldnt take the body off. Having said that i took my body off not knowing the car and wanting to do a full restoration and knowing that everything needed refurbing or replacing i knew it was the only way to go.  

Not that bigger job as you have got a long way anyway and you have the gear to do it,perhaps you should of thought of this before taking the engine-box out.

Be nice to refurb the mounting areas, bolts,and sound prof ect and sort out and clean up the radiator area,with new bolts too.

Does get Very expensive once you start.also could put engine and box back then put body on.

does depend on how good you want it tbh..

:gathering:

I will post up a few pictures of the chassis as it is in engine bay/underneath and really make a total assesment before I make the decision, just worried if I strip it down further it will be off the road for another 30 years!!

mc21.8

The engine and box came out as the clutch was failing, decided to refurbish while I had them out. It was a while ago but the synchromech was changed on a couple of gears, the engine was stripped and checked crank nitrided and rebuilt with new rings/gaskets, heads went off to an engineering company for refurb.

I am having an alloy radiator made and have new fan shroud/ fans all water/ brake pipes will be replaced and all 4 calipers re-furbed.

The interior is good it has some lovely thick "shag pile" style grey carpeting and black/grey cloth strobe stripe seats just needs foam replacing. The dash is good in a course black cloth roof lining dropping slightly will need to sort that out. Have a couple of sets of wheels 1 set re-furbed.

Biggest job cost wise would be the re-spray.

Just finished a lot of work on another car can hopefully devote some time to it next month. I was thinking I could have it ready for the body shop in 4 months leaving chassis on, if I take the body off not sure how much additional time it will take.  

If I take the body off I will probably end up doing a nut and bolt rebuild!!

Hi Mark,

Good to see another S2.2 restored here.

I too have an S2.2 and they are rather rare with only 88 built.

I took my engine and gearbox out and the full interior, but I didn't wanna take the body off.

No need in my case. The chassis of an S2.2 is galvanised and in good condition so I saw no benefit.

But it is you choice to make.

PICTURES PLEASE

greets

Geert

Hm .. That's one of what I am doing now. Please give me some advise.

543716_467547853315736_616969291_n.jpg

544462_467549543315567_1433138795_n.jpg

Ahh,

it's not an S2.2 but a turbo car!

I was thinking your car was NA, anyway good luck with your project, lot of work to do.

Giorgio

Giergio

You're right that is a turbo...but its not Mark's car its Qing's car!

Buddsy

Yeahh Buddsy....I've lost my mind in my workshop in these days :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I need some rest..

Ciao

Giorgio

Hi guys sorry for the delay in replying no progress made yet needed to clear out the workshop to make space for the rebuild. Hopefully starting in 3/4 weeks I am going to fully inspect the car when in the workshop but am thinking body off do the job properly!! Will report progress thanks for the feedback