free hit
counters
Carbon filter - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Andrew C

Carbon filter

Has anyone moved or removed the carbon filter from the boot, 2001 and onwards  so you can place the roof in the boot as we used to .

Andrew

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

'carbonfilter' ?

..so you mean the 2001 onwards cars have the 'charcoal filter/trap' inside the rear luggage compartement ?  

..as the later US type/higher rated emission class cars also have the air-pump there LH side in the compartement, this would clearly mean less usable space ..of course.

Or are you referring on the air-pump, and have you misinterpreted that as the charcoal filter

(and this one is still there in the LH wheelhousing -even on the later cars)

Hi Günter,

This is what I mean by the charcoal filter which is on the LH rear wheel arch and I am sure it is the same in Andrew's car.

Are you saying this is an air pump?

Can it be removed?

4900821012_a877d4679a_z.jpg

Brian

Andrew. Have you asked Monty about this unit and whether it can be removed. My car is in for MOT week after next so I will ask him then.

It is not (!) the charcoal-cannister to collect and re-vaporise fuel emissions from the tanks 

(this one is located in the LH-wheelhousing next to the tire *item1 in first picture, outside on older cars -see there..  or additionally uses separate vents in the tanks *in second picture on newer ones '01-on production & those later US specified).

44_05medium.gif

44_05amedium.gif

The airpump, if unlocked from the sytem would maybe cause a fault code on US/EU3 certified / homologated cars with matching ECU state

43_01medium.gif

(just to explain, this system has the same functionality as a 'secondary air system' on old BMW motorbikes, or like the ones from V8 Chevy smallblocks of the late 80/early 90th years ..it feeds into the exhaust ports on the heads, to mixup with emissions and to support 'aft combustion' and catalyst heat-up cycle)

.. but as many US guys have undone the simmilar rubish and unreliable ExhausGasRecirculation system too, why not try to undo and 'fake' the air pump signal as well.

Edited by Günter

Thanks Günter for your detailed explanation.

Far to technical for me so I think I will leave well alone and wait for Andrew to do the mod first  :D

yep, junk it. no running issues or MIL lights :thumbsup:

I would not remove it unless you know exactly what the effects may be. For example, in some GM ecu code when the air is not in bypass mode and is going to either the manifolds or the cat (I cannot remember which one it is or if it is both) then an offset is added to the lambda sensor switchpoint to account for the effect of the additional oxygen on the sensor.