free hit
counters
Oil filter? Is this genuine? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andy Esprit SE

Oil filter? Is this genuine?

Hi all, I've got my first oil change coming up on my esprit se so nipped in to the lotus dealer for a genuine oil filter, I opened it tonight and it's black with a sticker on ? Is this a spurious filter in disguise? I was expecting a white one with black writing?

I was also told they stock spurious air and fuel filters rather than genuine ones? I was surprised to be honest? Does everyone else use none genuine service bits or not?

Cheers

Andy

post-14973-0-74893500-1363900124.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you do a search you'll eventually find a thread which goes into this in quite some detail. Suffice to say, the original ones had a fault discovered and Lotus then started sourcing ones which had a sticker applied rather than lotus logo and part no painted on. This is fine.

It would be illegal for the dealer to sell non-genuine parts as genuine too.

Thank god for that my cars still got a white one on so glad its coming off, thanks for the info.

As I understand it, its a pretty bog standard filter which fits many cars. You can buy K&N ones on ebay pretty cheaply.

Haha I received just that filter from SJ Sports Cars a week ago. I think next time I'll just buy the cheaper third party filter....

Though to its credit German text on an automotive part does inspire some confidence...

Edited by Vanya

I chopped a Lotus one after seeing a fram filter chopped on youtube. The Lotus one was IMO a pretty decent choice. Well made and well put together. Some makes like the Fram are not worth being called filters. I think the best was the K&N and thats what I use.

Buddsy

for 4pot Esprit or V8   Mahle-OC8 ..or lots others from various brands priced between 4Euro and up to 14Euros ..it is just no mystery

..all you need is right type of thread, sealing dimension and filter lenghth -to hold up sufficient amount of filtered oil (mention oil flow characteristics per second on the pump) 

..and a bottom valve to compensate 'overpressure' caused by blockage in the filter trap is a good feature, as it at least helps to lubricate with unfiltered oil instead of blocking all oil flow  ..in case of

for 4pot Esprit or V8   Mahle-OC8 ..or lots others from various brands priced between 4Euro and up to 14Euros ..it is just no mystery

I was once advised on here Fram filters where a good alternative to the genuine...I mean they are all the same if the thread fits etc...not. I have since binned the brand new Fram.

Make your own choice.

Buddsy

it's a question of quality, of course   ..if for example the thread is to short there is no sufficient safety of positioning -same is for bypasses who cause non-functionality att all  !! 

..some Chineese parts also not have a valve in there -but you can be sure that Lotus-cars does not made its own filters  ;)   

-so it is just a sticker on it, you simply need to compare the not 'clear type' written informations, to get an impression who made the part

I use the Mann-filter ML 920/21.

Gavin I wouldnt myself.

Budddsy

typo-correction:

OC18 was meant there above !!

as the  oc8 is with the wrong (metric) thread

Buddsy -what do you use (filter manufactorer, not resaler *aka lotus)  ...and what to you expect to find if we open one of yours ??

I went for the K&N. I just like the quality of the stuff I have bought from K&N and I think their air filters are the best. I did open the Lotus one and I think thats pretty good (only from a looking well made point of view. Cant say how well the element filters oil etc.) I know they dont make them themselves just spec them but they do that on most parts of their cars.

I think stuff from the USA is usually pretty good but maybe some brands have got their stuff made in China and have not keep their eyes on quality. Youtube is a wake up call for lots of things. There are hundreds of vids showing oil filters.

These are my pictures from the older Lotus one I opened

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5397.jpg

IMG_5393.jpg

I would feel happy fitting the Lotus one. Just given the choice I like the K&N a bit more.

Buddsy

some details you should be interested in:

http://www.mahle-aftermarket.com/MAHLE_Aftermarket_EU/de/Products-and-Services/Filters/Oil-filters

http://rb-aa.bosch.com/aa-plattform/de/static/produkte/filter/oelfilter/of_funktion.htm

oelfilter.jpg

"Umgehungsventil" (bottom end there)

S13_1_de.jpg

..the mentioned 'return -lock off' valves there are less importand, as long as you not have problems with a oilpump that needs long time to reinstate pressure in the main oil-gallery  ..and if ou have not a filter that is installed horizontally or stays on top of the engine. If the filter is hanging under the engine or hangs on the side the oil will not run out, even if you have to replace the filter  (not so messy as it is with filters who are placed horizontally, think you know what I mean)

..but the 'Bypass-valve' or 'overpressure reduction/Umgehungsventil' is a safety feature, if you do not change the oil & filter as often as the mileage would require. So look out there that the manufacturer offers this

(it was not there on all filters in the 1970/1980  ..and you don't know what type of construction or machinery is used there in China, keep in mind that for long years Chineese products simply were made on old European industry machinery that was scraped over here for 'out of date' conception. China just got those industrial goods back into market competition by the lowers price there -see those Chineese tire brands in the early to late 1990 years  ..and how those conceptions performed.)

The separation of the oil passage-way (in/out) only works reliable over time if the adhaesive used there to put the filter substrate onto the base plates is of a good quality, and the sealings to the housing -of course  ..and every manufacturer/resale brand will tell you that the own product is far more 'well build' there

..in reality it is mostly a difference on the choosen 'grade' of filtration, and how long it does take until the filter element is clogged up -therefore how  long it takes until the bypassing gets active (with no filtration at all)

..so if you can use a filter with more volume/surface than the car manufacturer would use ..simply to hold the 'backpressure' level as long as it goes on a minimum it will give you a small benefit from my point of view

The Mann filter on my car is made in Germany and has a Micro Top label on it, along with a lot more other information that is printed on the filter casing. The one in the video looks like the Mann Filter logo is a stick on label, so it is possible that the filter in the video is a generic type. Clearly I see differences in the two filters which says that they came from different origins and are obviously of different standards.

I have used the Mann Filter W 920/21 for the last three years and I am please with it's performance. My oil pressure builds up in approx 2 secs from a cold start and the oil stays clean looking and does not blacken over time.

I also use Mobil 1 20w/50 synthetic V Twin motorcycle oil in my engine, this has the highest independently tested levels of ZDDP available in the US that is readily available and not considered a boutique oil. Meaning it is available at pretty much all parts stores. I did run the Valvoline VR1 racing oil but some suggested to try the Mobil 1 for the ZDDP content. When I made the change there was a clear audible difference in cam noise, it was much quieter with the Mobil 1.

Edited by GavinS1

with generic type you mean Chineese 'plagiarism' ? ;)

Good man Gavin (No pun intended!) Im sure you got a good eye for quality. I dare say what you are using is different to the youtube clip. Thought it was strange you would want such Sh1te on your car. Its always worth keeping an eye on components you buy whether genuine or not. Looks like some of the filter companies should have kept a closer eye on their products too. 

I think youtube and people here for that matter do a great job keeping people informed with topics such as this. Hopefully we can all be better off.

Buddsy

Here's a link to amazon for the Mann Filter...

http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-920-21-Spin--Filter/dp/B001CUHZPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364957100&sr=8-1&keywords=Mann+filter+920%2F21

Tony K was the one who pointed to me towards the brand.

Edited by GavinS1

I've only just caught up on this thread, I fitted the lotus filter and have noticed the oil pressure comes up with in a couple of seconds where as before with the old white one I'd be looking at the pressure gauge getting ready to turn the engine off in fear of the needle not rising ha ha. I may buy another and dissect it now in curiosity.

Some people have mentioned that it can take up to seven seconds before they get an oil pressure reading on the gauge. Personally my gauge has always shown strong oil pressure within about two seconds of engine start.

I switched mine out yesterday and noticed the same thing; got a bit worried upon starting the engine, took a few seconds until the needle went up. Time for a trip to howstuffworks.com methinks....