free hit
counters
Comparison: Evora S IPS vs Porsche 911 PDK - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Snoopy1969

Comparison: Evora S IPS vs Porsche 911 PDK

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very interesting comparison. Again the Evora is a near-perfect package, the greatest downside being that drivetrain from the Toystore.

I would just love a Lotus powered by a modern, German-made drivetrain, be it Audi, BMW, or Porsche. It would  be the ony option to get me to part with my current Evora.

Yup I've had a 2012 S IPS this week while my manual (CR) NA is having some work, second time I've spent time with the IPS and just can't get on with it. It was nice while in a six mile traffic jam Monday but the rest of the time frustrating, I do understand people buying them but not for me and I'm not anti auto had a V8 M3 with the DCT which was amazing its just not intelligent enough despite the name!

Interesting comparing NA with S, I love the extra low down grunt of the S but you get to use so much more of the revs with the NA and more often much harder call on that one- reminds me of the choice between a 600cc sports bike and a 1000 swings and roundabouts!

It took me a while to get on with mine, in fact it was probably a month of driving it before I really got to grips with the IPS shift. For me it's such a plus doing the dull driving, I've been stuck endless times, sitting in traffic on the M25 for example, the car's just so usable. Away from the day to day chores once you get to grips with the Sports button it comes alive.... a bit of a Jeckyll and Hyde car.  

Yes towards the end of the week I was starting to see it, and as an only car for the daily grind yes with the way our roads are most of the time I guess it makes some sense!

Comparing my old NA with the new 2013 S with the IPS: 

The manual gearchange is more "rooty" and reminds me to the old traditional way to drive (lets say: Le Mans move with Steve Mc Queen) and the IPS is driving the modern way. What is better? I cant judge... Shure the IPS is modern and trendy, but the manual gear has something special especially when riding the hills. But in our wolrd with traffic jam and overloaded streets the IPS brings advantages to the driver. for me it is 50/50. maybee it is like listening music from a vinyl record LP or doing the same with a CD. The music is the same, but the sound differs. 

I've been looking about at alternatives recently ( ...with ever increasing enthusiasm ) and wondering whether I'd buy another IPS type gearshift or go back to stick.

I think as you say its the 'modern way' and the manual option just isn't available on a number of marques. It's been the way of F1 for many years so there's obviously a performance gain with the high end systems. I'd like to try and more sophisticated double clutch setup, I gather the McLaren shift and the new Audi R8 are a great improvement over the Lotus type system, although I"m totally used to it now. 

Edited by Stirling_Villeneuve

Relating to this topic manual / vs "auto" (pdk..whatever) there were some articles / pieces in the actual evo magazine that might be interesting too.

For me: Under "normal" circumstances, traffic jam etc the IPS might be a nice addition but the real fun is achieved with a manual only - I won´t like to miss the activity with the stick and the clutch (just my opinion of course it is up to personal taste. I am not sure if I had bought an Evora with a IPS only - probably not so it is good to have the choice for customers!

I have always chosen the manual, with one excepton. Had an early Audi TT with the DCS gearbox and dreaded it.

However, today's dual clutch gearboxes offer so many advantages, they change gers so much faster than I erver could with a manual. So, given the choise I'd go for one today. Maybe never use it in automatic mode, but as a fast changing manual its unbeatable. It will certainly beat the Evora's sloppy shift mechanism.

On the other hand, the IPS ist "just" another ordinary automatic that I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole (and the top speed of the Evora IPS is also lower).