free hit
counters
Looking for a Lotus Elite 2.2 S2 - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
villyman

Looking for a Lotus Elite 2.2 S2

Hi all,

About 2 months ago I got interested in a Lotus Elite. After reading quite a lot about these cars, I decided to go looking for an S2 as they have the 2.2 liter engine and a galvanised chassis.

I love hearing you if you got something for sale. Some mechanical work can be done by me, it may also be just in good condition, ready to drive.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

have good luck with searching! only 133 are made..

i have also a gegalveniseerd chassis for sale, so you can build your S1 on top of it...

where you from?

S1 and S2 have the same chassis and shell? Nothing has been changed but the galavanisation process?

Does the Excel have the same chassis? (In that case that should then mean the Elite and Excel shells are interchangeable) 

I know only 133 are made so it will be quite difficult but I'm hopefull ..

Some time ago I saw a 1981 2.2 pass on eBay for 1.027 Pounds. I then didn't know what I know now and am quite pitty I didn't buy it.

My 1982 Eclat Riviera will be up for sale soon.

Welcome Tim, good luck in your search.

There have not been too many S2s for sale recently, not sure why, perhaps it's the winter hibernation.

There are very few cars that don't need a hell of a lot of work, and the very best go for c£5000+. Still stupidly cheap by current classic car standards, and by Lotus standards too when even FWD Elans are appreciating in value.

Tim

Yes you can put a S1 body on an S2 chassis.  The two have essentially the same chassis,although there are changes on the S2 for the hydraulic clutch release of the Getrag gearbox used by manual S2 cars.  The S1 manual used a Lotus gearbox with a cable clutch.

Th Excel chassis is an evolution of what went before .  In particular,  the rear is reworked with outboard brakes and a new top link for the suspension.  However, it is possible to put an S1 or S2 body on an Excel chassis.

Herc

Edited by Herc

Hi LotusElan17, thanks for offering but I'm really looking for an Elite. The back end pleases me more and it's a more practical car.

@Herc:It's nice reading the shells can be changed! You really mean they fit 1/1, right? In that case I should in fact have an Excel (with galavanised chassis and brake discs at the rear), AND the Elite shell!

It's nice knowing it can be done, but I prefer buying a real Elite as I'm afraid not having all the time to search and collect the Excel chassis and Elite top and then connect it all.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm no expert but I thought I had read on here that the Excel chassis is different at the rear.  The older bodyshell will fit but only after some modification.  I would do some searching on here before you decide what route to take.

Hi Tim. Welcome. If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask a Moderator.

Tocus, the first guy to respond to this topic is an Elite God, he buys breaks and rebuilds Elites. However he is in Europe but he's a good starting place. If I remember rightly he has about 5 Elites right now.

Hi USAndretti42,

Thanks for letting me know.
Herc replied that there was indeed a change at the rear but I understood it had to do with the rear disc brakes instead of the drums. I'll have to doublecheck if it's possible to change the shell without modifying something.

I still hope finding a nice S2 Elite and keep the possibility for an Excel-transformation for in case ....

Thanks and good luck with what you're doing!

Cheers, Tim.

The Excel chassis is a tempting sounding conversion that has been done often, and I would personally love to do, but am willing to bet it's not as easy as just saying it..

You do need to modify the rear tunnel, the rear body mounting points, and the petrol tank. Also need to convert to a hydraulic clutch. Lotusbits have the conversion down to a tee, but you will pay for experience.

You may also be disappointed if you expect it to perform like your Corrado; manufacturers had pretty much nailed the drive-ability/reliability conundrum by the 90s, whereas the Elite is a product of the 70s (actually the 60s when you take into account the source of many components - Triumph Herald trunnions?). It's 40 years old and feels its age, needs a good warm up before giving its best, and has limited performance and old fashioned brakes. If you accept it for what it is as a nice old classic car it's OK, but you won't be tearing about in it without a lot of modifications.

i am currently restoring an 1980 elite s2 or should i say rebuilding it got it in nov 2010 and still going keep finding more as i go along however at least i know whats been done,could have paid top price and then found everything needed it replaced ,i think cars of that year need constant use unlike modern cars but that,s why you love them,good luck with finding one ,lotusbits had one they were going to restore when i was there 5 months ago lagoon blue but needed respray and interior at least