free hit
counters
Alpine to Pioneer swap wiring - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kip

Alpine to Pioneer swap wiring

I know the basic subject has been done to death but I can't find any information on the wiring, done loads of searches found some info and pictures on American Lotus forum but no detail on the wiring loom. Is it just a case of unplug the Alpine and plug in the Pioneer?

As Lotus changed over to pioneer from Alpine you'd think that the main wiring harness would be the same? Spoke to Lotus field engineer today who couldn't help but has suggested I ring back Monday to talk to another engineer who he thinks has done the swap himself.

I really fancy doing this myself but would like an idea of what I'm taking on before I get it in bits!

Think I'm going for the Pioneer 940BT.

Kip

Edited by Kip

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ate they just standard iso connectors? The end which goes into the unit may need to be changed but I'm sure that connects to an industry standard loom...

That's what I'm trying to find out Bibs, make sense doesn't it - Pioneer technical thought that would be the case but they would! If that's the case sounds like that getting the dash surround of first would be the hardest part according to the post on the US site.

The most challenging art is actually replacing all those ancillary parts. The Alpine comprises the radio, the nav unit, the bluetooth unit and the GPS antenna. These parts are all somewhere behind the dash.

Of course, the Pioneer brings its own GPS antenna with it.

Bibs, any tips on how to tackle it?

TBD, I'm assuming (hoping) I can leave all those bits in place rather than strip them out?

Kip

Just a quick update for anyone else considering this, spoken to field service engineers yesterday and they advised you can get a wiring loom adapter part no. A132M0326F (£26.81 plus vat) from your Lotus dealer that will enable the straight fit of the new Alpline INE-W920R which will be the standard fit soon to new cars.

Not sure what to do at the moment I prefer the look of the new Pioneer (and it's cheaper) but this would in theory be an easy upgrade.

Bibs, any tips on how to tackle it?

It just pops out, the surround is help in place by 4 push tabs. I removed the ones by the steering column first then prised the other end out. You'll do well to buy a cheap set of plastic tools which won't mark the leather, they're very cheap. 

Cheers Bibs, ordered a set from eBay will have a go at getting it out and check wiring and access before I decide on which head unit.