free hit
counters
Lower wishbone removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rowge

Lower wishbone removal

Stripped drivers side front suspension, removed roll bar, removed top ball joint, then removed shocker and spring as a unit, removed spring from shock bit tricky as spring is tapered and difficult to get my spring compressors in, then tried to remove lower wishbone, the rear bush bolt seems to be facing the wrong way so I cannot get the bolt out as I hits the footwell before I can withdraw wishbone, had a look in manual and it seems the nut should be next to the footwell not the bolt head, checked other side which is the same, is it possible that the bolt was fitted the wrong way round in the factory, or am i missing something?, if not I will have to cut the bolt of and buy another.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yikes.  maybe the body shell was off the chassis when installed.   cut and replace.  i put all new hardware in 4 years ago but didnt use grease and all the bolts corroded and stuck.  replaced them a couple of weeks ago

From what I remember when I did mine the bolt did indeed pull out towards the front of the car, so it would seem yours is the wrong way round.

yikes.  maybe the body shell was off the chassis when installed.   cut and replace.  i put all new hardware in 4 years ago but didnt use grease and all the bolts corroded and stuck.  replaced them a couple of weeks ago

There is a factory video floating around on Youtube showing the Esprit production line  - all the suspension went on before the chassis. There is a guy who looks like Frank Zappa hammering the lower link pin home.......Lotus gave very little thought to future maintenance over ease of production line process

In fact here it is, check 0.50

Defiantly from the front so they can be removed, an easy mistake

when doing a chassis off build / restoration .  Ohh and they should

locate with relative ease, no more than a small tap with nylon/Hyde  mallet 

post-10519-0-34376300-1364142834.jpg

Mine are backwards as well (from the factory). I'm going to cut the bolt and replace it with a new bolt the right way around.

I've never looked at mine, but knowing my luck, I won't be holding my breath. :(