free hit
counters
Blown V8! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mrtzmd

Blown V8!

Hello Everyone,

Sadly but surely my 2001 V8 has blown. :cry: 

I started a thread on Lotustalk titled "another one (v8) bites the dust", you may read there to see the sad story and opinions I've received.  My current dilemma is whether to rebuild the engine or buy an engine from a breaker or perhaps purchase a rebuilt engine (block with heads) from a reputable outfit in the UK.  The cost of parts here in the States is not astronomical but finding a meticulous, professional mechanic who will do it right the first time is not easy.  I have enough skill to remove the engine, swap out the plenum and all the ancillaries, sensors, etc. and then install the engine, but I do not feel comfortable doing the rebuild (valves, pistons, bearings etc.) nor do I have the specialized Lotus tools.  Are rebuilt engines available in the UK?  BTW, does anyone (Bibs or Dave?) know about a sport 350 that is breaking at "Dewsburry Auto", if anyone here knows the mileage or condition of the engine and if it's available still, it could be my solution. 

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice about what to do. :help:

Mauricio Martinez

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bad luck!

Do you know what happened to blow it up?

Sorry to hear about you bad luck Mauricio.

Not sure if this link may help you. I enquired about this engine before and he said he would let it go for £3000. Obviously you take a chance with a used engine like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Esprit-Engine-Lotus-Esprit-V8-Twin-Turbo-Engine-/290884275699?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ba0dcdf3

Cheers,

Steve.

The one on ebay has been for sale for months and is less turbos etc It also seems to change price every month from £3000 - £3500 and you could be buying £3.5K worth of rebuild.

The Dewksbury breaker listing wants £500 for one front wheel so chances are a complete engine ( which may have hit the rev limiter during the accident, cracked mountings, fire damage ) is likley to be  a small fortune..........and without any guarentee

Hope you get sorted

Paul

Lotus refurb v8 engines, they were about 6k last time I asked.

Just read this very bad luck and sad story on the other forum.

I think if it where my car I would be asking the garage or mechanics the procedure used to intall the new belts and check the tension of the belts.

A clavis guage has to be used and the belts pinged or tested to give the correct frequency reading. The belts need checking when in a particular position and not just anywhere. If the tensioners where set when the belt was in the incorrect possition the belts would be either too tight or too loose.

Sounds like they were too loose and the belt may have jumped a tooth or two. Of course this is only speculation but for how long it would take to remove the cam covers and turn the engine by hand you should be able to see whats going on.

If you remove the spark plugs and use  a leak down tester this will give you a better idea of the engines health. You dont need to turn the engine on the starter to do this but will require a leak down tester and an air compressor supply.

New leak down testers come with instruction so depending on where the air leaks from, ( air can be heard escaping form the exhaust, intake, oil filler) this can help pin point the problem before deciding on the the next step.

If compression all tests out okay your problem may be something simple like a loose flywheel or clutch bolt.

The oil smoke from the exhaust may be the turbo seals. Overfilling with oil will also cause smoke and from your other forum listing 8 - 10 litres ( about 2 gallons ) from memory sounds like far too much.    

Cheers

Paul

#factory oil pre-filling (with dry oil cooler system) isn't much above 7L ..maintenance change is usually around 6.5 or less !  ..see this in your own small owners handbook, the green one

#..There are no real 'special' tools required, from point of 'Lotus tools' on a repair, as you can create them mostly in DIY -just look out here in the V8 section -think there was noted one or two things about that often enough ;)

#..what you would need for a real inspection and condition check on a dismantled engine is simply the same tools every engine builder (in the traditional type of meaning) would need to have, so no computer controled measuring rigg, just propper tools:

*feeler- gauge

*straight edge

*bore-gouge

*dial -gauge

*prismatic blocks for a 'run out' test of the crank

..and so such things

#For the timing belt you need to follow the workshop-instructions, the tools for the timing setting can be realised in DIY

-so if there really is a internal problem you can allways start to open up the engine, half or full on the top-end ..undo the sump and inspect the big ends & mains

-if you get an impression of what really happend and is broken now, there still is the option to 'outsource' repairs one by one to a shop and ask us V8 guys in here inbetween step by step, for the rest of the work  ..that's what Lotus community stands for ..right guys ?  (and girls..) 

:D

Edited by Günter

That's bad luck Mauricio but be very wary of buying and importing an engine into the US from a private party in the UK.  You may run foul of customs in regard to EPA/DOT requirements.  There was an entire thread on a Lambo board where  someone imported a Lamborghini engine only to have it seized by US Customs. Now if you get the engine via Lotus and Lotus USA then you've got no problems.  Anyway, good luck and hope it all works out, and try sending a PM to gmendoza as he's rebuilt a V8 with outstanding results plus he's in the SoCal area.

Thanks everyone for your kind support and good advice.  I will be contacting the shop this week to determine if I am on my own or not. I spoke to gmendoza over the weekend and he gave me good encouragement to move forward with a rebuild and a very good estimate of the costs.  I know an engine from a breaker is a gamble, which could be worthwhile if they were cheap but they seem to cost as much or more than the parts necessary for the rebuild.  If anyone has an leads on reasonably priced parts that I will need or has anything in their garage they would be willing to sell, please PM me.  If I am on my own with the rebuild, I will be collecting parts over the next few months until I have everything needed to rebuild the motor.  I just spent over $7k on the car so money is tight right now.

Thanks Again,

Mauricio Martinez

I do not know where you live relative to some of these businesses etc Mauricio, but as a full forum member, this is available to you.

Potential discounts

as my rebuild is done with a reshape of all the the crank bearing surfaces to first grade undersize-dimension I have the package of original 'standard size' bearing shells for main bearings/big end bearings available.  Some Lotus packages with new piston rings too

..for pistons & piston rings you can of course simply go local there, in the US

-and buy the aftermarket and higher rated pistons there ..*forged* ones (JE or what was this piston company name ?)

..headgaskets are *Ellring* -all metall type

Thank you Gunter, PM sent.

Gunter, your PM is full? does not accept more messages? Do you have email? I am interested in bearings and headgasket. Thanks

Mauricio

I don't have new headgaskets left from my rebuild project ..so you need to contact the lotusdealers there in UK/US ..or at least the US aftermarket first

..on the bearings thing -what type of bearing shells do you need -haven't you said that you so far not know what you have (or now much damage there is ?!)     ..keep calm, as it is said sometimes ..it will not run away :D

-so firtst measure and valuate the situation  ..what I have is the set with 'factory size' (standarts)   ..maybee those are not suitable anymore if your crank needs a reshape as mine did

You're right. I thought you had a local source for the headgaskets in Germany. I have a good friend in Heppenheim who can help with parts.  I will let you know if my crankshaft needs repair. thanks

there should be a fabrication number, one from *Elring* itself on the gaskets

-you can use this to get into contact with you local suppliers, this may help to hold the import costs factor down as much as possible