free hit
counters
Front damper replacement - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PhilW

Front damper replacement

Have today stripped front suspension as i said for re bushing.   Dampers need replaceing.  I will keep everything as standard.  Is the front damper from another vehicle?  Or where is the best place to get new ones?

1984 Turbo.  Early suspension setup.  (Trunnions)

Many thanks for any info

Phil

Edited by PhilW

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd suggest avoiding the Protech aluminium adjustable ones as mine failed in a matter of months (circa 6) on the Turbo Esprit and the ones fitted to an Excel that I purchased failed a few months after the car was purchased.

The originals (Armstrong?) are no longer available although I think Lotus still have the rears

I'm going to sell a complete set of AVO dampers that I bought for my 1981 turbo but didn't get around to fitting. £250.

IMG_2508_zpsd8fbc264.jpg

IMG_2507_zps69ac4be1.jpg

IMG_2504_zps7f4c36d9.jpg

IMG_2502_zps235b8091.jpg

Trevor.

Hi

thanks all for this.  Sorry Trevor but PNM engineering got in first, with time for me on the phone and a very pleasant conversation and genuine advice.  Should recieve everything by thursday so heres to an entertaining easter.

Have read up and have avoided the Protech shocks.  Plus the guy from SJ was so rude to me at th NEC a year ago after i just asked for some advice he has probably lost me as a customer forever.  May cost me more sometimes but i have a very long memory 

Andy,

Fronts are standard springs but the rears aren't. I've had a pm about them from a forum member and have to get shipping costs and he was first in I'm afraid. Shipping may prove too expensive for him I fear. Don't you have a later car and these won't fit?

Trevor.

Andy,

Which Esprit are they for mate?

Ged

Andy,

Which Esprit are they for mate?

Ged

Well, As they were for Tevor's Turbo, I recall it being a dry-sump one. My S3 is 1984 trunnion type. To confuse matters I also have a Turbo Esprit which is the later ball joint type but that shouldn't need new dampers for a while as I splashed out and put the new Lotus springs and dampers on that.

And there was I expecting a simple answer........