free hit
counters
Front caliper seal kit - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
rowge

Front caliper seal kit

Started on my SE Front brakes, Caliper seal not great also piston looked a bit corroded, so used an air compressor to pop the pistons out, came out with a bang, which I was not expecting, caliper inner bore looks good and piston ok apart from outer edge, so ordered seal kit from SJ, removed piston seal and dust seal, do I use brake fluid or silicon grease to re assemble, do i put in the caliper seal then the dust seal then dust seal retaining ring, then piston down through the dust seal? Any tips

Cheers Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ideally use rubber grease but failing that brake fluid.

I usually do:

Calliper seal.

Piston in, just.

Dust seal into calliper and onto piston (so it's stretched)

Dust seal retaining ring

Push piston fully in.

Lubricate the piston seal, piston and dust boot with a lithium soap based glycol grease (readily available from Toyota dealers and I think Niglube RX is also one such grease). Be careful of what you use, there are some so-called brake greases that cause the rubber to swell.

Edited by sailorbob

Just received kit from SJ, how do the sliding bush rubbers come out, also, do you lever out the shorter rubbers as they seem to have a metallic rim to locate inside the caliper bores, don't want to damage the calipers

Tap it out with a chisel. When fitting the new dust boot into the torque plate use a thick walled piece of tube, or suitably sized socket, against the metal plate portion to tap it in.