free hit
counters
HELP! Oil feed pipes - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jammy-pop

HELP! Oil feed pipes

Hi all,

Just fitting the oil pipes to the oil filter assembly and can't seem to recall any seals/washers when it came to bits? Any ideas what type of washer sits here (if any?)

Thanks,

Steve.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Cheers Alex, that's what I thought, but didnt want to start putting oil in until sure.

The bit that threw me is that the parts diagram shows a seal? I'm sure I would have kept them safe if there were any.

Cheers buddy!

Steve.

do you mean *item 11 & 12 ?

40_15bmedium.gif

..those are O-rings, and of course you could try to simply use silicone all alone there on the mounting face of the filter assembly, but I would do it with the contact pressure on the rings, just as Lotus intended to do ..for separating *in & out* of the oil-passage way

..but again, if Alex's engine runs without -try your own if you want ;)

..on the coupling (thread adapter) for the hydraulic pipes there it needs a sealing (copper/aluminium ..depends on type of metal that gets into contact there .. as it means different 'compression' within the alloy structure of the adaptor vs. filter-housing assembly  if you choose the wrong material)

if you have adaptors with a conical thread the sealing effect may be thee by its own, or if you thightem them up as much as it goes  .. -but normally those adaptors are used with a sealing -see on the front of the car, there on the oil-coolers where those pipes go ..there again are sealings under the hexagonal adaptor-couplings.

If the adaptors used in your production time are of an longer type, where the lenght of the thread means that you can screw them in fully, and get contact sealing on the ground inside of the filter-assembly housing, of course then you would not need to fit sealing rings under the hexagonal thread adaptor surface there

Edited by Günter

Don't ever use silicone!!!!!

Günter that's a really bad thing to do.

It sets and bits can flow around with your oil and block up small oil ways causing severe damage!

Thanks Guys,

I was talking about item 8 Gunter. The assembly has not been off the block so don't need 11 and 12.

Cheers,

Steve.

Or might have been item 9! Not sure without the list!

Steve.

The oil pipes into the housing are the same as the conical turbo feeds I think it just relies on a bit of muscle on the spanner not sure if mine are standard tho the pipe is very fresh

The item shown as number 9 is part number B907E6301F. This is listed as a sealing washer but it looks more like a small spacer when you see it.

@Simon -that's why I say he should use original O-Rings there on the mounting face of the *Oil-filter concole* (item 10)

..and if he really not trust those rings it is on him to use additional sealing (like silicone/polyurethane or other..)

@Steve:  part number 8 is a typical thread adaptor, that is why I said it depends on the shape of the thread there  ...if it is a conical type that seals itself into the *oil-filter console* alloy -you don't need anny additional seal 

..if it is long enough to seal on the ground end of the thread in the housing there, if it gets screwed into it ..you don't need a sealing (or could use some teflon rope/band stuff to aid)

..if it is short and therefore needs the flat area under the hexagonal point for the spanner to create a sealing contact with the oil-filter housing, use a sealing ring   ..as simple as it is!