free hit
counters
NA S3 exhaust manifold damage - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
simon a-b

NA S3 exhaust manifold damage

Hi all, it's been a total pig but I've now got the exhaust manifold separated from the block, not quite off yet but very close.  Unfortunately there's some damage; two of the bolt holes cracked through (the very last one closest to the gearbox and a middle one on the next cylinder along).  As far as I know the manifold is otherwise in ok condition (no cracks or leaks).  I've scanned the forum and it seems from what I've read that these cast iron manifolds are not easily repairable.  Has anyone out there had any success with repairing one?  the boltholes would of course take a lot of load so any repair would have to be pretty strong.  Being cast iron they are pretty rigid so all the other fasteners would help... or am I just kidding myself?

Thanks in advance

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well, I dont know about repairing but folk do change their cast manifold for the 4-2-1 StSt options so maybe someone on here would have a cast manifold they could sell you. 

If or when mine goes, I intend to go the 4-2-1 route, unless I do that sooner.

You can get them repaired but look for a blacksmith or agricultural engineer rather than a welder. They will have a forge to heat the manifold and the skill in repairing cast iron.

I might just have a chance then... plenty of skill with metal here, will ask around

cheers,

Simon

We could have a look at it for you if you are close to Ashford.  Unfortunately we are not open now until Tuesday.

www.fastroadconversions.com

Edited by Fast Road

Thanks for the offer... I've changed my profile to show location.  Not too close to Ashford!  I'll take it to my exhaust bloke and see where I go from there.  Don't worry I won't hand it over to any old welder.  Tanks about to come out, add the horribly corroded exhaust mount and I've got a few items for repair/cleaning/recoating. 

Cheers,

Simon

Bad/good news I guess.  Manifold is too far gone as assessed by the man who knows.  I'll just have to go for the SJ extractor setup.  Is there much re-tuning needed?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi i just got a relentless performance manifold from ebay from the dealer in USA very nice company and its been modded so that it will be less likely to crack its a mark 3 compared to mark 1 version on car took about 5 days to arrive for $200ish nearly got old one off so i will put a pic up with new one on when i can.